D&D 5E Is it right for WoTC to moralize us in an adventure module?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't understand how this question is pertinent to the specific assertion that TheSword made or to the entirety of what I wrote (unfortunately, you stripped out almost all of it and cherry-picked only 7 words in your quote), but here is what ChatGPT has to say about that in general:
View attachment 275355
Last night, my friend tortured me by asking endless, increasingly complicated questions of ChatGPT and reading the answers aloud. That thing scares the heck out of me.

Andvari

Hero
I asked ChatGPT the following.
What would you, ChatGPT, tell a person who said the following. "Last night, my friend tortured me by asking endless, increasingly complicated questions of ChatGPT and reading the answers aloud. That thing scares the heck out of me."
It gave the following output.
As a language model created by OpenAI, I am just an AI language model and I don't have the ability to harm or scare anyone. I am designed to provide helpful and informative responses to the questions that are asked of me. If your friend's behavior is causing you distress, I would recommend that you have a conversation with them about your feelings and ask them to consider your perspective. If the situation persists and is causing you significant distress, it may be helpful to seek support from a trusted friend or family member, or a mental health professional.
So as you can clearly see, it isn't possible to be scared by ChatGPT.

Anon Adderlan

Explorer
So the problem isn't that #WotC is moralizing to you, but that it interferes with you moralizing to your players.

If/when your moral code does not jive with a moral position that is implied in a WoTC adventure, how do you react?
If the adventure is well written I'll run/play it, because the morality of the characters does not reflect the morality of the players, and that morality is determined by the choices they make, not the adventure anyway.

Can the PCs know this outcome is "good" if they don't or can't assess the consequences of aiding and abetting a criminal mastermind?
Intent vs Outcome is one of the most fundamental dilemmas in ethical inquiry.

I also don't want to make precious time to rewrite my thoughts just for you specifically, no offense!
Not like other folks reading would benefit from more clarity.

If you wish to reconcile with my POV based on what you've omitted, you can re-read my posts on this thread and what everyone commented on this thread too. If you don't want to do that "homework" that's totally fine, but my intention wasn't to join Enworld to belabor my opinions on people who don't like to hear them.
Now you're assigning motive to someone you don't know over the mild pushback you've gotten for stating your opinion. And here I thought that was something you didn't want folks doing.

I've never looked to game designers as a source of moral instruction.
Good. And game designers need to stop acting like they are.

I'd want to facilitate a heroically "good"/morally correct outcome.
Ultimately that's up to your players.

I wrote " those who engage in serious crimes", not just "criminals". I was thinking of very serious crimes, while trying to avoid getting caught up in Evil labels.
But how can your players pursue the morally correct outcome if they don't know what you consider to be serious crimes, let alone evil?

Based on what I read & interpret from the book, and not based on you speculate or interpret is in the book for my gaming table (which you know so little as to have zero authority on the matter), is what make the final determination for my group.
So your players input doesn't matter either.

I don't understand how this question is pertinent to the specific assertion that TheSword made or to the entirety of what I wrote (unfortunately, you stripped out almost all of it and cherry-picked only 7 words in your quote), but here is what ChatGPT has to say about that in general:
View attachment 275355
Objects to #WotC adventures moralizing to them. Turns to AI to moralize to them.

#SlowClap

Hussar

Legend
I think WotC should moralize the PCs in an adventure. When these are created, there are only so many pages you can make it. They still have to have coherency. So pick a side WotC. Start creating adventures for all sides of the coin.

If they picked a side, wouldn’t that mean that the adventures wouldn’t be for all sides?

Remove ads