• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Elves are specifically the chosen and created race of Paladine on Krynn. It changes a great deal.
No it does not. It changes nothing at your table. You have no obligation to use any of this. Actually I would hope every time they print material for a new edition they could take a completely different take on it. That way we have five different versions of all the DND lore. Wouldn’t that be awesome!

It is not like ancient dragons are that far from Tiamat as it is. In fact, with the upcoming mythic type great wyrm dragons, they might be even more powerful (at least in terms of their stat block).
I would hope they would update Tiamat's stat block to give her mythic actions as well. They honestly should start doing that for just about any powerful unique creature. It would be great if we got updated mythic actions tarrasque or updated mythic action Demon Lords...

Edit - Auril in RotFM basically had two stages of mythic actions after her first form, so that would be an ideal way to seperate deities from mere mortal mythic creatures - they get three phases instead of just two.

(By the way, mythic actions are one of the best ideas the design team has come up recently, as it really makes fighting powerful foes memorable and challenging)

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is not that it is compatible with your vision of Dragonlance, but that it need not change your vision of Dragonlance. If the roles were reversed I would be happy to say, regardless of what WotC just printed, Krynn is part of the greater multiverse. Your Krynn need not be the Krynn in WotC’s 5e. Nothing is keeping you from having them be separate just as nothing kept me from blending them all together. This changes nothing.

Aren't those stats for Tiamat just her avatar? I'd expect the most powerful dragons to be close to a sliver of Tiamat's power given form.
I bet we see a Mythic stat block for Tiamat: two back-to-back 30 CR ENcounters?

Remove ads

Remove ads