D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

JEB

Legend
Interesting that Eberron is stated to be in the Ethereal Plane now. In Eberron: Rising from the Last War, it just mentioned it being somewhere in the Great Wheel. I would have assumed that it was in the Astral over the Ethereal, actually.
In older editions, the Ethereal was suggested to basically be the raw material where other planes came from (hence all the demiplanes there, which once included the Shadowfell [Demiplane of Shadow] and Ravenloft [Demiplane of Dread]). This may be a callback to that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This print kind of makes paladine and bahamut to be different entities…
I saw something in a 1e or 2e product recently that said something like, "Tiamat, Takhisis on Krynn...", but heck if I can find it again. I did find a lot of mentions of them maybe or maybe not being the same entities.

Personally I think they are. As the 5e DMG states, gods can have different power levels and even different portfolios in different settings. And we know from multiple other products that some gods are known by different names as well. Tiamat could easily be Takhisis on Krynn and be a greater godess, while being a lesser goddess in many/most other settings. Same with Paladine and Bahamut.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting that Eberron is stated to be in the Ethereal Plane now. In Eberron: Rising from the Last War, it just mentioned it being somewhere in the Great Wheel. I would have assumed that it was in the Astral over the Ethereal, actually.
That would make Eberron fit well with tying Magic Settings to D&D Settings, tied through the "Blind Etetnities"/Ethereal Plane. It fits well enough.

One theory I had was that Eberron's entire cosmology existed in the liminal space between the Etherial and Astral planes that ether cyclones briefly access.

Remove ads

Remove ads