D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Bolares

Hero
Which worlds do they mention in this section? I'm curious as to which worlds they may be hinting at for the future.

I'll add, I think Dragonlance's stock has gone up, as Fizban's seems pretty comfortable talking about that setting (and even has art for it!)
I'd be surprised if its not one of the revisited settings planned

dave2008

Legend
Which has nothing at all to do with how the change impacts the basic nature of the Eberron cosmology, making it inherently secondary to the Great Wheel.
you say that as if it is a bad thing. It could be a great thing if you want it to be. It all depends on what you want.
The Eberron book is correct when running Eberron. Other books may be optional, though they still very much determine how the community in general views a thing, but the Eberron book is canon when running Eberron. I may not be beholden to canon, but it still exists, and is what new players read when they check out the setting.
None of the books are correct. That is my point. It is a book, not your game. Your game is correct.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
you say that as if it is a bad thing. It could be a great thing if you want it to be. It all depends on what you want.

None of the books are correct. That is my point. It is a book, not your game. Your game is correct.
jfc forget it, man. I'm not going to rehash exactly the same argument we had previously.

What's in the books matters, regardless of whether it matters to you.

doctorbadwolf

yeah, I don't get how being second generation means worse or derivative. Eberron itself could be counted as a third (or latter) generation setting, and it's my favorite...
It's literally called derivative in the text someone showed a picture of the other day.

The status of the setting in a meta context is irrelevant. Within the setting, until 5e, the progenitors were the creators of the cosmos, not curious copycats who said, "hey lets have elves and dragons and dwarves, too! But the gods can't come."

The only reason to even make the change is to force all dnd settings to exist within the least interesting published dnd cosmological model so they can make the entire game into planescape, rather than letting settings that were made to be separate stay separate.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
jfc forget it, man. I'm not going to rehash exactly the same argument we had previously.

I really have to disagree. It used to matter, when the custodians of D&D cared about that level of consistency. Now anything they publish is just one more idea thrown against the wall. So we pick the one we like and run with it.

Eberron does tend toward a higher degree of consistency than D&D in general, or other campaign worlds. I'm glad you've got that to hold on to. The worlds I liked have either changed in ways I dont care for, or I fully expect them to when WotC decided to turn their attention to them. That's why I've decided to just keep the stuff I like, and jettison the rest. It's the WotC way.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Normally I'd agree with you. But post that canon blog, I'd say what's in the books actually doesn't matter. Not lore-wise at least.

It's one explanation for how the multiverse works, for those who want that explanation. But it's not the "singular sacred truth," either. The books contradict each other in various ways already, see Steel Dragons. So you get to pick and choose what to use, and your not "playing the game wrong."

doctorbadwolf

I really have to disagree. It used to matter, when the custodians of D&D cared about that level of consistency. Now anything they publish is just one more idea thrown against the wall. So we pick the one we like and run with it.
Such a time never existed, IMO. Nothing has changed, they're just being transparent now.
Eberron does tend toward a higher degree of consistency than D&D in general, or other campaign worlds. I'm glad you've got that to hold on to. The worlds I liked have either changed in ways I dont care for, or I fully expect them to when WotC decided to turn their attention to them. That's why I've decided to just keep the stuff I like, and jettison the rest. It's the WotC way.
I get what you mean, especially seeing how much it sucked for a lot of FR fans during 4e, and how much I dislike the retcons of 5e to that setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads