D&D General Is Seven Abilities Too Many for a D&D Feel and/or Comfortable Generation?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
That seems more redundant than strength and constitution, if I'm being honest. Strength is active, while Constitution is passive: I'd compare it to the active Charisma versus passive Wisdom.

So if I want to split Dex, how important is it to come up with a 4th mental one to keep the symmetry? Or does going beyond six already nuke the D&Dness? Or would having to do the character generation with 8 be annoying?

My main opposition is the fact that I don't think ability scores do anything really important to the game - they're just redundant with skills and classes for determining what your character is an isn't good at.

So before adding/subtracting any, I'd want to know what ability scores are for.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So if I want to split Dex, how important is it to come up with a 4th mental one to keep the symmetry? Or does going beyond six already nuke the D&Dness? Or would having to do the character generation with 8 be annoying?
I think going past 7 would be a problematic choice from a general design principles point of view: any more than 7 would be too many for most people to keep in mind and get their heads around in play. And the symmetry being important, at least in my mind, thst would make 6 the maximum I would be comfortable with.

aco175

Legend
Was it this book back in 2e days that broke up all 6 attributes into 2 parts each. I want to say that Strength was split into force and power. It was an option, but I never played it.

1643681535946.png

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Was it this book back in 2e days that broke up all 6 attributes into 2 parts each. I want to say that Strength was split into force and power. It was an option, but I never played it.

View attachment 151051

As @cbwjm notes below, it was skills and powers:

I've got it sitting on my shelf :)

Stamina + Muscle
Aim + Balance
Health + Fitness
Reason + Knowledge
Intuition + Willpower
Leadership + Appearance

I don't think we ever actually used them for actual characters in play, though.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1) Would adding a seventh ability add a lot of complexity to that part of character creation? Is it already a bit fiddly to take a point total and split it among six things?
Actually it makes it easier. Too easy.

Extra dump stat for point but
Extra roll to roll high

2) Is there something magic about six for the D&D feel to you? (I mean they tried adding comeliness back in 1e). Or does the number of them not matter?
3 mental scores
3 physical scores

PERFECT SYMMETRY!

3) Would it be bad or good if each class really had two stats that were particularly helpful instead of just having one that they really lean on?

And then two more going for if they would break the D&D feel for you, and not necessarily if they would work in terms of mechanics.
I prefer every class being Dual Ability dependent.

4) What is your gut reaction to splitting Dexterity into something like Dexterity (Coordination/Aim) and Agility (Reaction/Acrobatics) ?

5) What is your gut reaction to merging Strength and Constitution so that handled both weight training and cardio type fitness?
3 mental scores
4 physical scores

EW! Makes me SICK!! :sick:

3 mental scores
2 physical scores

AUGHH! I'm gonna BARF! :sick:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm fine with the current 6 but 8 could also work. I wouldn't worry about making a 4th mental stat to even out the physical vs mental side of things.

I'd be tempted to split things up like M&M 3e which split Dexterity in to Dexterity and Agility and sort of split Strength in to Strength and Fighting.

This leaves these 4 stats if used in DnD affecting the following things (some are what M&M 3e does, some are what I would do):
  • STR. + damage with melee or thrown weapons, carry capacity, affects skills using strength (athletics)
  • FGT. + to hit with melee, + AC when parrying
  • DEX. + to hit with ranged weapons, affects skills using fine manipulation, + damage with finesse weapons
  • AGI. + AC when dodging, affects skills like stealth and acrobatics, affects initiative
This split probably wouldn't quite work with the current set up where some classes alter the attack ability. It also requires differing AC, parry and dodge. Parry able to block melee attacks, dodge to get dodge ranged attacks, so it adds in some complexity that people might not want or need in their games.

Remove ads