• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Is the 2024 rules update a new edition? Argue about it here (not everywhere else)!

Is the 2024 rules update a new edition?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Don't forget 4-ons vs 3-tards fights that started hours before 4e was announced.

We didn't even have confirmation on the new edition and the war had begun.
Remember this gem?

Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I joined this board back in the 4e days and it was horrible until the mods cracked down on the fighting, right now it seems to be like the wild west again, but I assume they will crack down again.
With the slow release speed of 5e content the board had to fill the void of rules discussions with fighting about even stupider things.

At least that's my interpretation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
yeah, before I came back here to try to see what people thought of the playtest I didn't think anyone was taking the 'no such thing as edition any more' thing seriously at all
Well, if by edition you mean a new printing with some rules changes, then sure, but what they are signaling is that it is not a new game which WotC has used Edition to mean. The modern D&D game is Evergreen, and radical rule overhaul aren't part of the business plan anymore.

Vaalingrade

Legend
It'll be what Wizards of the Coast decide to call it. If they print new books with a new edition number on the cover, it will be a new edition.

That doesn't seem to be their plan, however. All of the information we have gotten from WotC suggests it will be printed with "5E Compatible" on the cover, and no other mention of game editions. There is a lot of talk about a 'new edition of D&D' but it's not coming from Wizards of the Coast.
Absolutely none of that matters if we're not moved. Recall that they resisted calling it 5e for a very long time in anything but fine print.

Well, if by edition you mean a new printing with some rules changes, then sure, but what they are signaling is that it is not a new game which WotC has used Edition to mean. The modern D&D game is Evergreen, and radical rule overhaul aren't part of the business plan anymore.
if the game was ever green we wouldn't be changing it up so much 10 years later. I mean if in your mind you don't see it, that's okay, but I just can't wrap my head around the thought that evergreen means the samething as edition change

Remove ads