D&D General IS the 5 min work day a feature or a bug?

Dausuul

Legend
In 5e, it's a bug. The differing recovery mechanisms for powers means that class balance, in as much as it exists at all, depends on having 6-8 encounters per day. But the game does nothing to discourage the main spellcasters from blowing through all their big powers, overshadowing everyone else in 1-2 encounters, and then forcing a rest on the others.

If they do indeed move to "PB times per day" for all powers in 5.5e then it will become a feature. I don't think that would be an improvement, but YMMV.
I continue to hope that 5.5 will move to "short rests are 5 minutes, but limited to prof bonus short rests per day."

It's a very simple change and works amazingly.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some GMs and tables like a more challenging simulation reality(close to) style of game. For them, its about resource attrition and making good decisions. A harkening back to skill play where survival is part of the challenge. In these games, wandering monsters, environmental conditions, and supplies will effect ability to rest. Going 5min work day is a very risky proposition in these style of games.
That’s been my experience as a player and as a GM since 1977. The world doesn’t sleep just because you took a nap.

IOW, while I’ve heard of it, I’ve never seen the 5min workday in play.

The 5mwd is both a bane and a blessing.

A blessing when used sparingly.

A curse when it becomes the norm.
Because when the 5mwd is the norm, all fights will soon become deadly ones, which will slow down play and make players think that their characters are not so powerful. To feel powerful, you need easy fights once in while to truly appreciate what your character can do. And classes that rely on short rest powers get hosed with the 5mwd.

Last edited:

That’s been my experience as a player and as a GM since 1977. The world doesn’t sleep just because you took a nap.

You are lucky. I have seen it and quickly put a stop to it. Once started, that play style can become the norm quite fast with players not engaging fights if they are not at full strength.

I much prefer attrition style play. But once in a while, the 5mwd can be a good thing. You just have to be careful to not let it become over prevalent in your games.

why would the world need to stop for the players to just take a rest?
Why would they care what the rest of the world is doing?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t know how much luck is involved. I’ve played a fair amount: since ‘77, I’ve gamed in 5 metropolitan areas in 3 states across nearly 100 RPG systems.

But it wasn’t until i started here at ENWorld that I ever heard of the 5MWD. Not even a peep about it in convos at game stores before then. So to me, it seems like it’s a rare issue that gets discussed on boards like this where people are more apt to complain about it. Because, of course, they’re seeking solutions.

My players don't like the 5MWD, but they like having interesting things to do every round of combat. In 4E this was pretty easily accomplished, since even At-Wills did a little something special.

But in pure attrition models, conserving your resources often means not doing something interesting.

Of course, the DM makes the fights more interesting by adding secondary objectives, interesting terrain, and rewarding skill checks. But every time a turn is spent using ONLY a basic attack or pure damage cantrip, something is going wrong.

In 5E, a long rest is often the best way to get back to doing interesting things.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don’t know how much luck is involved. I’ve played a fair amount: since ‘77, I’ve gamed in 5 metropolitan areas in 3 states across nearly 100 RPG systems.
Actually, I have to second this.

I've played since '78 myself, in about as many large areas in NY, PA, AZ, and GA, and in Europe, but only maybe a dozen different RPG systems; and, like you, it wasn't until I came to EnWorld with 5E that I had ever heard of the 5MWD or the LFQW issues.

While I am sure people are seeking solutions, they are to problems that I have never heard of before coming here, let alone experienced mysef. 🤷‍♂️

Mort

Legend
Supporter

But it wasn’t until i started here at ENWorld that I ever heard of the 5MWD. Not even a peep about it in convos at game stores before then. So to me, it seems like it’s a rare issue that gets discussed on boards like this where people are more apt to complain about it. Because, of course, they’re seeking solutions.

For me, it was similar - in the sense that I didn't notice it before seeing it discussed here on ENWorld.

But once I saw it here, I did start noticing it more in my own and other people's sessions. That's when I made pacing adjustments and it stopped becoming a problem, regardless.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think with respect to denying they like it, they may protest too much. If it were so dislikable to them, they wouldn't do it. I suspect they may like the ability it gives them to come at a conflict with full resources and power and dislike the stigma they are taking on as overcautious, wuss players. It's just that wussiness comes in handy...
It’s a well-known phenomenon that players will optimize the fun out of a game if allowed to do so.

Remove ads