• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the Greatsword the ultimate weapon?

Tessarael

Explorer
Offensively, if you don't have much Sneak Attack, Greatsword is the best.

Offensively, if you have lots of Sneak Attack (or other stacking damage bonuses), two weapons is best - probably twin Rapiers with Finesse and you can Power Attack with a Rapier. Mahahhaha.

Defensively, the best option is weapon + shield. Dwarven Waraxe + Heavy Shield is a great combination for Dwarves. Bastard Sword or Dwarven Waraxe costs a feat for everyone other than Dwarves ... so then Longsword and Heavy Shield is a good option ... unless you get really lucky and get a Sunblade - but that's another story.

Now when I talk offense, I'm talking pure damage dealing. For trippers, reach, etc., other people have discussed better combinations above. And two weapons is bad if your opponents have high AC.

Trainz

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Scythes get no respect. :p
Keen scythes are something to behold, especially with power attack.

That said, the spiked chain is the best IMO.

But two daggers in a 5th level Invisible Blade's hands are quite frightening.

Too many variables.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
One thing that 3rd edition doesn't deal with that would be a factor in a debate over GS/Rapier discussions would be fatigue. It takes a whole lot more energy to wave a GS around than it does a rapier.

I remember, decades ago, reading about the pirate Blackbeard, and the english captain who finally defeated him. I know I should remember his name, but I don't. What I do remember was reading that he had armed his men with rapiers rather than cutlasses. In the battle, his men suffered lots of losses early on, as their rapiers were broken by the cutlass-wielding pirates, but after a few minutes of hacking and slashing the pirates were too tired, and the rapier-wielding englishmen turned the tide.

-rg

Sejs

First Post
Scythes get no respect
Weapon Masters(3.0) with Scythes get plenty of respect, heh.
2d4 16-20/x5 +4d10 energy (burst weapon) is enough to make anyone sit up and take notice. :)

As for X vs Greatsword - I'll take a Halberd please. Sure, it's 1d10 20/x3 instead of 2d6 19-20/x2 but you can also trip and set vs charge with a halberd. And if you take that weapon style feat from CW it lets you have all 3 damage types in one weapon. Handy.

shadow

First Post
No, greatswords aren't the ultimate weapon! Everyone knows that fullblades (from Sword and Fist and Arms and Equipment Guide) are the ultimate weapon!

Dark Jezter

First Post
If you aren't worrying about things like tripping, reach, or readying against charges, then the greatsword is probably the best weapon for pure damage-dealing.

I have a PC who swears by the greataxe as well; there have been a few encounters where he rolled a critical hit (3x modifier, 1d12 damage) and ended the fight before it really began.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
The high-Str, greatsword/greataxe build is certainly the best for damage output. But that's only one part of the package. Typically if you go down this route, you're going to be neglecting AC and ranged weapons. You're also going to be up in the monsters' faces and drawing their attention by chopping huge chunks out of them. Put these together, and it's likely you'll be going down fairly often.

The greatsword-wielding berserker IMC was regularly being taken to single-digit hp in big battles. He dealt huge amounts of damage, but he also copped it himself. Conversely, the full plate+shield knight deals out reasonable damage, but has taken nowhere near as much punishment. The berserker has died twice, and the knight not at all (so far anyway).

Jemal

Adventurer
Scythe or Spiked Chain take the top spot.. Sure, either way you go you're giving up about 4 damage on a maxed out damage roll...

Big freakin whoop, they've got stuff to MORE than make up for it.

Spiked chain.. You can attack from 10' away, and when they move forward 90% of the time you'll get an attack of opportunity, then take YOUR full attack.. and back up 5', to repeat..

SO, you're giving up an avg of 2.5 damage / attack, but get an extra potential attack each round.
PLUS tripping+disarming, and when you get into Improved Whirlwind/Greater cleave at epic level? OH look, an army of hundreds... *6 seconds later* Oh look, dead bodies.

As for the Scythe.. just amp out your crit range, head into weapon master, and make your opponents fear high rolls on the dice. You'll more than make up for the measly few points you're missing each turn.

Knightcrawler

First Post
Right now I'm playing an erlven fighter/ranger who uses two short swords with weapon finesse and weapon focus. We're running through RttToEE. I picked up the Sword or Earth which is a +2 great sword. In one encounter I was what the heck I'll try the sword. Oh mama, I just started cutting through everything. And in the Earth Temple the great sword + cleave + great cleave + power attack made the difference in not loosing a single party member.

Remove ads