D&D 5E Is the imbalance between classes in 5e accidental or by design?

Which of these do you believe is closer to the truth?

• Any imbalance between the classes is accidental

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Any imbalance between the classes is on purpose

Votes: 49 43.0%

• Poll closed .

Undrave

Legend
The poll is also begging the question. Imbalance (however you define it) is a foregone conclusion based on the wording. I can't give my real answer which is that it doesn't apply, at least not consistently across all levels and groups.
If you consider the system balanced within a tolerable margin, then it would be logical to think that any imbalance perceived by others is simply the result of a difference in play style, human error, or a different level of tolerance. In that case, the imbalance would be accidental, or emergent, rather than baked in.

Oofta

Legend
If you consider the system balanced within a tolerable margin, then it would be logical to think that any imbalance perceived by others is simply the result of a difference in play style, human error, or a different level of tolerance. In that case, the imbalance would be accidental, or emergent, rather than baked in.
Unless all classes (and players) are 100% identical in all aspects there is going to be a difference. Calling that difference an "imbalance" gives it a negative connotation. 🤷‍♂️

lingual

Adventurer
I thought Quickleaf's point here was a very simple one: the average amount of damage done by a Big, Fat Spell versus a Big, Bad Fighter has largely flipped over the decades, and this likely is not accidental. And, I mean, just from the numbers on his chart, that does seem true, doesn't it?

I have no experience with 2e-4e and therefore am not competent to speak about them: I only know 1e and 5e. But one thing I vividly remember about 1e is that wizards--even at higher levels--were supposed to spend a lot of their time hanging in back and avoiding getting hit while perhaps achieving a few helpful things in combat, but then also making that One Really Big Move with a clutch spell when it was sorely needed. We had no cantrips in 1e (hardly anyone back then even knew UA existed) and certainly had no damage-dealing cantrips and could not regain spell slots except through a long rest. Spells were used sparingly.

Today?? Pfft! Fuhgeddabouddit.
In 1e, magic-users were real glass cannons. At higher levels, it was very easy to disrupt a spell. All you have to do is land a hit and the spell slot would be lost. The AC would have any Dexterity bonus removed. The spell caster basically had to win initiative by the level of spell. Initiative as a d6 so basically to get that fireball off, you would have to hope the enemy rolled a 2 or less on initiative - or else a simple arrow would dissolve the spell. Actions were prior to declared prior to initiative rolls. Fighters would absolutely destroy magic-users in 1v1 combat. The magic user would probably have to luck out and get a Blink, Mirror Image, or something like that off to stand a chance. A 15th lvl wizard would probably have around 30 to 40 hit points. Wizards were reliant on magic items to consistently get spell effects off.

The poll is also begging the question. Imbalance (however you define it) is a foregone conclusion based on the wording. I can't give my real answer which is that it doesn't apply, at least not consistently across all levels and groups.
you read the poll, you read the thread title, you chose to come to a discussion and disregard the topic and instead try to disprove a part of it.

Undrave

Legend
Unless all classes (and players) are 100% identical in all aspects there is going to be a difference. Calling that difference an "imbalance" gives it a negative connotation. 🤷‍♂️
If I consider that a class has less abilities to impact the game than another, I don’t know why I wouldn’t call it negative? I’m not like ECMO3, I don’t think having a class superior to others in a class-based game is a good design or, somehow, fun.
In 1e, magic-users were real glass cannons. At higher levels, it was very easy to disrupt a spell. All you have to do is land a hit and the spell slot would be lost. The AC would have any Dexterity bonus removed. The spell caster basically had to win initiative by the level of spell. Initiative as a d6 so basically to get that fireball off, you would have to hope the enemy rolled a 2 or less on initiative - or else a simple arrow would dissolve the spell. Actions were prior to declared prior to initiative rolls. Fighters would absolutely destroy magic-users in 1v1 combat. The magic user would probably have to luck out and get a Blink, Mirror Image, or something like that off to stand a chance. A 15th lvl wizard would probably have around 30 to 40 hit points. Wizards were reliant on magic items to consistently get spell effects off.
Spellcasting should not be instantaneous. It'd be a lot more strategic to use if you had to wait for the start of your next turn for your (levelled) spell effect to go off.

Last edited:

Remove ads