• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is the imbalance between classes in 5e accidental or by design?

Which of these do you believe is closer to the truth?

• Any imbalance between the classes is accidental

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Any imbalance between the classes is on purpose

Votes: 49 43.0%

• Poll closed .

Undrave

Legend
I can't see how it's not intentional. The Playtest ended up heavily tipping toward casters and they've expressly said things like how Fireball is purposefully unbalanced 'for tradition'. Which makes me wonder if Ford should sell a Legacy car with a crank starter.
So would you say WotC tried to make a balanced caster, but the Wizard fans in the play test influenced the result?

Do you agree with me that, if one class was meant to be stronger, it's not really conveyed in the books?

Larnievc

Hero
I know there is a Wizard bias, but can you elaborate?
Well they obviously had a stab at it when compared with 3.5 but shied away from the one size fits all of 4E. The actual internal drivers of what made them settle on 5E are probably multi factorial.

They reined in pure spell casters and boosted the relative power levels of martials to some extent but quite probably the reason they settled in what we have was time constraints in both testing and product delivery.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I can't see how it's not intentional. The Playtest ended up heavily tipping toward casters and they've expressly said things like how Fireball is purposefully unbalanced 'for tradition'. Which makes me wonder if Ford should sell a Legacy car with a crank starter.
And yet... fireball is much weaker than in used to be. A fireball used to have a sliding damage based on level (5-10 d6 was the range) which makes comparison a bit difficult, but since 8d6 is in the middle of that range, we still can compare.

A 2n e ogre had an average hp of 19. A fireball would drop an ogre reliably if it failed it save. Now it takes three fireballs to bring down an ogre (if it fails all its saves) reliably...

In the old days, the wizard was explicitly balanced to be weaker at low levels, stronger at high levels. In 5e it is very clear efforts have been made to balance it with the other classes. While it is questionable if balance has actually been achieved, I highly doubt that the goal was to make the wizard stronger than the others.

Vaalingrade

Legend
So would you say WotC tried to make a balanced caster, but the Wizard fans in the play test influenced the result?
I don't actually see any evidence of a balanced caster. Everything else just got pushed down to make them the proud nail.
Do you agree with me that, if one class was meant to be stronger, it's not really conveyed in the books?
I agree with the statement, but D&D has ~traditionally~ had a lot of opaque design for no good reason.

Stormonu

Legend
I know there is a Wizard bias, but can you elaborate?

Well, the question here is not ‘is the Wizard unbalanced’, but rather ‘did WOTC try to make it balanced or did they try to make it stronger’. I'm questioning the design intent and how well it is communicated in the book.
They created a veneer of being balanced, but could not actually make it balanced due to outcry by the player community. I think they hoped that if they didn't point out the imbalance, only those who were already knee-deep in the game would notice.

So it was intentional imbalance, but an attempt was made to conceal it. Substitute Bruno with spellcasters.

Remove ads