D&D 5E Is the new setting Icewind Dale?

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.13.09 PM.png

Add that to the image WotC put out with the upcoming announcement.

cold.png

And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear.

PO40195275-front2.png
/​

Last edited:

For getting up to speed on the Crystal Shard, besides watching the informative YouTube lore video linked above, what would you recommend - reading the trilogy, or can I do with the comic. I'm not much of a drizz't fan, but am told the original trilogy is actually good.
Or should I go all in, read everything and play Icewind Dale etc.? :geek:

I own and have read legacy of the crystal shard.

For getting up to speed on the Crystal Shard, besides watching the informative YouTube lore video linked above, what would you recommend - reading the trilogy, or can I do with the comic. I'm not much of a drizz't fan, but am told the original trilogy is actually good.

The original novel "The Crystal Shard" isn't bad, and is relevant the CRPG (although that doesn't become append until the end). So, read the one novel and play the CRPG. If I remember correctly, the CRPG occurs first in strict chronological order.

NB Drizzt isn't in the Icewind Dale CRPG. He is in Baldur's Gate and it's sequel though.

I guessed a sourcebook about Icewind Dale would be published near of the videogame "Dark Alliance". A region within Forgotten Realms isn't really a new setting. Even spin-of as Kara-Tur and Maztica, or Red Steel and Hollow World in Mystara, aren't really independient settings.

I love Icewind Dale, but at the same time I feel, I don't know, a little underwhelmed. I'm sure the nostalgia quotient will pick up for me as an actual release date gets close.

Yeah, I'm with you here. Also, if IWD/the North of the Western FR is an entire setting-book, rather than a large/epic adventure/series of adventures, I'm going to be very disappointed with WotC, frankly.

If Icewind Dale is the new setting being teased, they aren't trying to mess with us, and this isn't a "PR flub" as another poster claims. D&D superfans like us here on ENWorld think of "setting" as entirely separate "campaign settings" like Dark Sun and the Realms, but the D&D team is marketing to a much larger demographic these days then just us lifers.

You are really reaching here, and getting into some pretty silly territory, as a result, frankly. You're sneering at "lifers" and "superfans", and so on, but what you're describing has been pretty normal through D&D's history - which is to say, presenting an area of a setting as a setting. Whether it's an entire continent, like Maztica or Taladas, or just a region, like the Savage Coast, it hasn't been uncommon or unheard-of, and you're acting like it is. Trouble is, it's been historically unsuccessful. Most of the products which took that approach were somewhere between a flop and a moderate success, and most of them are largely forgotten.

Also, you talk about a "much larger demographic", but you seem to think said demographic is going to be hugely excited an entire setting, which they too are going to immediately realize is basically just the FR equivalent of Canada (with a bit of other stuff thrown in). And frankly I am very skeptical of this. My prediction is that, on the 5E subreddit, if WotC does present IWD/The North of the FR as an actual setting-book, not a huge adventure/adventure-series set there, people are not going to be impressed.

And they are far more representative of the "larger demographic" you're discussing than us.

All that said, I very much doubt "The North of the FR", let alone a region as relatively small as IWD actually is the next new setting book announced. I strongly suspect it is just a very big adventure, like Dragon Heist or the like. And the wider audience does love such adventures a lot more than we do here, so it makes sense to hype them.

If they are doing IWD in any format, I'll be interested to know if they've involved any of the game designers/writers who worked on the games. I know Josh Sawyer has been working on a product he can't discuss for a while, and it doesn't sound like a large-scale deal, so maybe.

Coroc

Hero

the first 5 books or so of each trilogy are actually quite good. For some of the following you have to be quite a fanboy.

Spoiler: Drizzt gets so reknown for his good deeds, that he is not subject to stereotype judgement anymore for most of FR folks and their mother seem to know of him.
That is one part of the story which i always found difficult to swallow.

Oofta

Legend
the first 5 books or so of each trilogy are actually quite good. For some of the following you have to be quite a fanboy.

Spoiler: Drizzt gets so reknown for his good deeds, that he is not subject to stereotype judgement anymore for most of FR folks and their mother seem to know of him.
That is one part of the story which i always found difficult to swallow.

Yeah, some out-of-the-place village where people have probably never traveled more than 20 miles from home and then only for a festival almost always recognize the guy on sight. Can tell that it's Drizzt and not some random drow come to murder them in their sleep.

Well, that and the never ending emo "woe is me" stuff that permeated later books is why I stopped reading them. It's made quite clear in the books that most interaction throughout history with drow is when they do surface raids and kill everyone in sight or take them as slaves never to be seen again. Then he's all "Whaaaa? Why are people prejudiced against drow?"

Not justifying prejudice, but the level he typically faces is mainly reasonable wariness about a stranger. Not to mention that he looks like a historic enemy.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases