5E Is the new setting Icewind Dale?

Russ Morrissey

Comments

vincegetorix

Jewel of the North
I'm not sure if I love or hate how this thread has simply turned into parsing the word "new". I'd say let's try further speculation, but, basically, it's the only hint they've given us.

(Unless Chris actually isn't trolling us this time and it is Spelljammer lol.)
My take:

Part 1: the new campaign will be set in Icewind Dale, where a lost spelljammer was found under the ice and was unearthed by Reghed barbarians led by their shaman who had visions that a lost ancestor was buried in this ''steel cairn''. Unbeknownst to them, the shaman is actually inhabited by a Illilthid tadpole from the mindflayers cluster inhabiting the lost spelljammer. He's raising an army to crush the dale for its new overlord. The players must gather the militias of each of the ten towns by creating alliances and resolving discords between their sheriffs to face the horde, then enter the spelljammer to crush the Illithids and conquer the ship.

Part 2: Have fun with your jammer, find the elder brain leading the cluster with the help of gith allies. It is actually on an infected frost-giant spelljamming drakkar travelling in Auril's domain!

Weiley31

Adventurer
Is AI really a setting book? Just a nit-pick.
I look at Acquisitions Incorporated as "Faerune/Sword Coast" but further in the future. So way past Tyranny of Dragons, Lost Mines of Phlandelver, Descent into Avernus, etc etc.

So, it can kinda serve as both a setting and no a setting.

The official webpage for the event and announcements does not mention a new setting at all. It just says this:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products...
That is still vague enough that it could still be a new setting for the new adventure, but either way, it will all be tied together, like with past reveals.

Also, what is up with the weird section dividers on the page? Is there some sort of code in there that is teasing something?

Parmandur

Legend
The official webpage for the event and announcements does not mention a new setting at all. It just says this:

That is still vague enough that it could still be a new setting for the new adventure, but either way, it will all be tied together, like with past reveals.

Also, what is up with the weird section dividers on the page? Is there some sort of code in there that is teasing something?

The dividers look like stylized Mindflayer ships.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
I love when nautilus show up.

somebody should list all the lysk streams from WotC
Done (removed Theros and Wildemount ones);

GreyLord

Adventurer
Well, beyond icewind dale there is the icewall.

There's also Risia...and/or Masvirik.

Also, let's not forget the underdark, which could extend below many portions of the FR, and I don't think have been covered in any great detail yet.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Unfortunately, if I say forgotten realms I think I will be technically correct.

I hope I am wrong. I liked the realms some in high school. My buddy had the gray boxed set and it seemed sparsely populated and wide open! That was the reason he bought it! It seemed untamed and big.

years later, it’s too familiar and too many people know too many other people.

I am hoping anything that is new that is not full of robots.

I want something different that is fun to read even if I don’t play it!

I would take dark sun (never played it) planehopping, darker swords and sorcery, greyhawk....

man that’s a wishlist and it’s broad.

but my money is on forgotten realms...

Advertisement1

Latest threads

In Our Store!

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4