D&D 5E Is the new setting Icewind Dale?

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.13.09 PM.png

Add that to the image WotC put out with the upcoming announcement.

cold.png

And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear.

PO40195275-front2.png
/​

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If take 'new' to mean new to DnD in general. Icewind dale wouldn't be new as it's a well established part of DnD history. The MtG settings are new because there has never been an official DnD setting set in the MtG universe. Of course for new players, new really would be anything new to 5e.

If take 'new' to mean new to DnD in general. Icewind dale wouldn't be new as it's a well established part of DnD history. The MtG settings are new because there has never been an official DnD setting set in the MtG universe. Of course for new players, new really would be anything new to 5e.
By which argument, Eberron was not a "new" setting. But it was clearly described as such by WotC.

Icewind Dale would be a "new" storyline but not a setting. In my opinion "new" should mean "original", neither reboot nor adaptation of an IP from other source. I am happy because Ravinca, Theros or Exandria are new members of the "family" of official D&D worlds, but 5th Ed hasn't got a new setting started from zero. 4th ed at least had got Nentir Vale, altough I didn't like worlds with blank spaces intentionally to work as sandbox. Then I would rather to create my own "patchwork demiplane" with pieces from different "time spheres".

It was new when it was introduced in 3e, it isn't new being introduced now because it is an older already established setting.
If you interpret the word "new" very literally, that is correct. Neither Eberron nor Theros are "new". However the word is much more nuanced than that. WotC described both Eberron and Theros as "new", meaning "new to 5e".

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you interpret the owed "new" very literally, that is correct. Nieth Eberron nor Theros are "new". However the word is much more nuanced than that. WotC described both Eberron and Theros as "new", meaning "new to 5e".
It’s not even that. It’s more in the context of “next”. The next setting we’ll be using.

I don’t think there’s much truck in analysing the word “new”.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If you interpret the owed "new" very literally, that is correct. Nieth Eberron nor Theros are "new". However the word is much more nuanced than that. WotC described both Eberron and Theros as "new", meaning "new to 5e".
Except I'd call theros new to DnD since it has never been a DnD setting. This is likely one of those semantic things. I definitely wouldn't consider theros an old setting.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases