Is The One Ring 2E Kickstarter going to break the records?

At over $140K in the first half hour and shooting quickly past the $200K mark before the first hour was up, the numbers on Free League's Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of The One Ring are whizzing up faster than the eye can see!

d50bd7eebed917d3a7580064ed3758c7_original.jpg

The record for a TTRPG Kickstarter is Matt Colville, at over $2M for his Strongholds & Followers project (and a followup $1.3M campaign). The next highest was John Wick's 7th Sea at about $1.2M.

There were over 6,000 people who were following the pre-launch page for this Kickstarter, which runs for three weeks.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
I think its superb. Its purpose built to emulate adventuring in the world of Middle Earth, but is also very approachable by bringing player into the setting at a ground level rather than the usual high level overview of most fantasy RPGs. It has a strong vibe that permeates every adventure.

Anecdotally, Cubicle 7 and the designers were both very happy with the sale for TOR throughout the run of 1e. So, I would guess that it was popular.

It does. I am in love with the regular edition cover art though, so I am sticking with that :)

Not yet, though the product releases seems to be complement 1e's releases rather than substitute them for the most part (Rivendell being the exception).

I was torn, loved both covers. So I did the standard edition as an addon, lucky for me my wife actually suggested it as well. Heh.

the product releases seems to be complement 1e's releases rather than substitute them for the most part (Rivendell being the exception).
Way back when C7 still had the license and were planning their own 2e, they said they would not be updating the 1e books to 2e. But of course, that was the smart thing to say no matter what you're planning for down the road, because you want those 1e books to keep selling. Now that FL has taken over the game yet can't sell the 1e books as-is, there's much more incentive to eventually produce 2e updates of those supplements. There are certainly still a lot of areas in Middle-earth that didn't get full attention in 1e that they can cover first.

Now that we know this KS is a smash hit, if I were a betting man I'd wager (in descending order of confidence):
  • Free League won't release 2e updates for the 1e adventures, but they will for the 1e region supplements;
  • we'll get the first full 1e update book three years from now;
  • it will be Rohan

Ethawyn

Explorer
I'm new to backing projects on Kickstarter, so forgive if I ask a dumb questions :)

Is there anyway to back this kickstarter and ONLY get the Deluxe Leatherbound edition of the Rulebook (and perhaps the die). I'm not interested in the Starter Set at all.
I think you could back without a reward at 1,998 SEK and then get it in the Pledge Manager. You also might be able to get just the book in a late pledge with the Pledge Manger.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
One of the best games I ever ran was The One Ring. I know I could have players.

This is amazing. And the marketing is spot on, it is like the one ring of RPGs, coveted!
I love the One Ring, I just don’t really see what I’d want with a second edition of it.

Desrimal

Explorer
I think you could back without a reward at 1,998 SEK and then get it in the Pledge Manager. You also might be able to get just the book in a late pledge with the Pledge Manger.
Thank you. I studied the kickstarter page a little more. Apparently you have to pledge for a certain amonut (which gets you the Core Book and a pdf of the Starter Set) before your able to get some add-ons (like the Deluxe Rulebook and the die), so I think I'll skip that.

What is a late pledge?

I'm new to backing projects on Kickstarter, so forgive if I ask a dumb questions :)

Is there anyway to back this kickstarter and ONLY get the Deluxe Leatherbound edition of the Rulebook (and perhaps the die). I'm not interested in the Starter Set at all.
I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble selling on the starter set if you don't want it.

The starter set is the part I'm most interested in; I'd be very happy to back the kickstarter at "physical starter set plus rules in PDF" level, except of course there isn't one (quite understandably).

This. I am disappointed they went the Kickstarter route, after how well C7 did with the 1st Ed using more traditional publishing methods.

Kickstarter wasn't the norm in 2011. Free League did start with pre-orders also with Mutant: Year Zero sold through Modiphius.

However, they switched to Kickstarter soon after and have used it quite often since. The usually offer a deal on kickstarter so you save around $50 plus they add more to what you're getting as well. It is a great deal. They can sometimes also add extras based on feedback from those pledging. So they can make the product better based on direct feedback through stretch goals.

However, they also sell the normal game (and usually package deals as well) after the kickstarter. So anyone who wants the RPG but not have to go through kickstarter gets the RPG as well.

Really a win win. I like all the extras kickstarter provides and providing feedback on what we're getting. But I have a friend who doesn't. We'll both still end up with the One Ring 2E.

Looks beautiful. I'm not sure that I'm entranced by roleplaying in the third age / being the heroes / etc, but I need to be sold on it/see what makes it special.
I have Dune ordered, so not sure I need more RPGs that I may or may not play but are undoubtedly beautiful, but maybe? I also want that Twilight 2000 late pledge...
I'd love someone on here who has played the 1st edition sell me on this, what makes it magical and exciting.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases