Is The One Ring 2E Kickstarter going to break the records?

At over $140K in the first half hour and shooting quickly past the $200K mark before the first hour was up, the numbers on Free League's Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of The One Ring are whizzing up faster than the eye can see! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/the-one-ring-roleplaying-game-second-edition? The record for a TTRPG Kickstarter is Matt Colville, at over $2M for...

At over $140K in the first half hour and shooting quickly past the $200K mark before the first hour was up, the numbers on Free League's Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of The One Ring are whizzing up faster than the eye can see!

d50bd7eebed917d3a7580064ed3758c7_original.jpg

The record for a TTRPG Kickstarter is Matt Colville, at over $2M for his Strongholds & Followers project (and a followup $1.3M campaign). The next highest was John Wick's 7th Sea at about $1.2M.

There were over 6,000 people who were following the pre-launch page for this Kickstarter, which runs for three weeks.

However, they also sell the normal game (and usually package deals as well) after the kickstarter. So anyone who wants the RPG but not have to go through kickstarter gets the RPG as well.
The only (potential) complaint is that they do not sell their (often quite lovely) special editions outside Kickstarter, and sometimes there are Kickstarter exklusives (e.g. Tales from the Loop soundtrack).
Otherwise Free League handles Kickstarters quite well IMO.

ctorus

Explorer
This looks beautiful but I'll be waiting for the 5e version. I had all the TOR stuff at one point but didn't really like the system, and I think this is essentially the same as 1e in most respects. I still think that this is the wrong time period in which to set a Middle-earth rpg, but probably their licence constrains that.

Aldarc

Legend
This looks beautiful but I'll be waiting for the 5e version. I had all the TOR stuff at one point but didn't really like the system, and I think this is essentially the same as 1e in most respects. I still think that this is the wrong time period in which to set a Middle-earth rpg, but probably their licence constrains that.
When is the "right" time period to set a Middle Earth RPG?

Looks beautiful. I'm not sure that I'm entranced by roleplaying in the third age / being the heroes / etc, but I need to be sold on it/see what makes it special.
I have Dune ordered, so not sure I need more RPGs that I may or may not play but are undoubtedly beautiful, but maybe? I also want that Twilight 2000 late pledge...
I'd love someone on here who has played the 1st edition sell me on this, what makes it magical and exciting.

I ran one campaign of TOR 1E and actually helped playtest the rules (back when that was done on forums of all things).

There were some rule elements I did not like. Combat was a little too static and I felt that the roleplaying encounter jumped into the deep end too quick with brand new characters talking to kings.

Both of these rule elements got an overhaul in 2E and I'm maybe in the minority in thinking this was needed. I hope I like the changes and improvements.

2E is supposed to use more unified mechanics as well, which I think will be a big leap forward. I do like the dice pool and d12 die and I'm glad that has been kept.

What I did like was the magic and excitement, as you mention. Because TOR really is a hex crawl your character feels very small in a very big world. You really feel like you're walking leagues in Middle Earth with a backpack and sore feet. It was wonderful.

I like the no spells. The people of Middle Earth had magical abilities but PCs didn't play wizards. I like this element and it is being enhanced in 2E. More special abilities based on who you are and where you are from.

The growing Shadow was also powerful. You could feel Sauron slowly becoming more and more aware of your fellowship. And you felt the weight and pull of your worst impulses and you could give in to them as Boromir did. The world was beautiful but a darkness was growing not only in the world but also in your PC's heart.

The adventures were great. The locations were great. The NPCs were great. The feel was very Middle Earth.

2E is also bringing in landmarks--small pockets of legendary adventure sites. This will pair nicely with the longer adventures of 1E.

I like the 2E art better. Less shiny and clean.

We are also getting the Shire. And get to play secondary characters from the books.

Also, Moria is coming.

So, yeah, I'm all in for a second edition.

Laurefindel

Legend
I ran one campaign of TOR 1E and actually helped playtest the rules (back when that was done on forums of all things).

There were some rule elements I did not like. Combat was a little too static and I felt that the roleplaying encounter jumped into the deep end too quick with brand new characters talking to kings.

Both of these rule elements got an overhaul in 2E and I'm maybe in the minority in thinking this was needed. I hope I like the changes and improvements.

2E is supposed to use more unified mechanics as well, which I think will be a big leap forward. I do like the dice pool and d12 die and I'm glad that has been kept.

What I did like was the magic and excitement, as you mention. Because TOR really is a hex crawl your character feels very small in a very big world. You really feel like you're walking leagues in Middle Earth with a backpack and sore feet. It was wonderful.

I like the no spells. The people of Middle Earth had magical abilities but PCs didn't play wizards. I like this element and it is being enhanced in 2E. More special abilities based on who you are and where you are from.

The growing Shadow was also powerful. You could feel Sauron slowly becoming more and more aware of your fellowship. And you felt the weight and pull of your worst impulses and you could give in to them as Boromir did. The world was beautiful but a darkness was growing not only in the world but also in your PC's heart.

The adventures were great. The locations were great. The NPCs were great. The feel was very Middle Earth.

2E is also bringing in landmarks--small pockets of legendary adventure sites. This will pair nicely with the longer adventures of 1E.

I like the 2E art better. Less shiny and clean.

We are also getting the Shire. And get to play secondary characters from the books.

Also, Moria is coming.

So, yeah, I'm all in for a second edition.
Are there any public listing or summary of rules changes and modifications from 1st edition, or is it still all under nda?

Yes, since it is the exact same license. It is owned by Sophisticated Games and was sub-licensed first to Cubicle 7, and now to Fria Ligan.

That means it only allows it to be set in the time anywhere from The Hobbit to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Which is why the 60+ years in between the two stories is when everything happens.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads