• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the Paladin class poorly designed?

Kinneus

Explorer
I'm currently playing a Str/Cha Dwarf Paladin. I understand the pure Cha Paladin is probably the better choice, but I'm the group's only real, dedicated melee combatant, so I felt like I needed to pump up my Str for party balance reasons. You know, be able to hit with OA, make use of the basic attacks the Warlord grants me, that sort of thing.
So far, I haven't really regretted the decision. His Wisdom is only 14, and it's probably going to stay there. The nice thing about having equal Strength and Charisma is that, if there is some power that relies on Wisdom to be effective, I have plenty of other options to choose from. Sure, I'll never have a ton of Lay on Hands to throw out, but my Paladin is still incredibly versatile.
I really am confused as to why people feel they need to pump their Wisdom up to the stratosphere. I mean, you complain about how there is one level where there are no Strength powers to choose, but there are many levels and even whole Paragon Paths where Wisdom makes no difference whatsoever (level 1 Daily, level 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 15, 16, 19, 22, 25, 27, 29, Astral Weapon, Champion of Order, Justicar: all are unaffected by Wisdom!). The Wisdom bonuses you get to some of your powers are just that; bonuses. They're little perks, not the whole dang enchilada, and you can skirt over them entirely if you so choose... and still be really freaking effective.

Last edited:

Danceofmasks

First Post
BTW if he's got a +3 anything when he's 5th level something unbalancing is happening anyway.

Did I not say it's average 67 damage pre-paragon?
4[W], on its own, with a nonmagical waraxe, is already 48 damage.
A +2 vicious weapon deals an average of 13 extra damage on a crit.
Then you have static bonuses.

Remove ads