D&D (2024) Is there any confusion between Poison Damage and the Poisoned Condition?

Some of it based on the removal to references to Disease from certain abilities. Diseases generally used the Poisoned condition. But somehow I feel that the condition and the damage type, might confused with each other, even though immunity to the damage type usually comes with immunity to the condition. Does anyone think that either the Poisoned condition or the Poison Damage Type be renamed though to something else?

lall

Explorer
There’s always been confusion. At this point, it’s endearing. “Make a save…You are now poisoned and take X damage.” “Do I suffer from the poisoned condition or just take the damage?” DM double-checks the wording.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
IME there's a little confusion at first, but once people understand that Poison damage and the Poisoned condition are only loosely related, they figure it out. The first is "The poison tries to kill you" and the second is "The poison makes you feel sick and woozy". Apparently some poisons do one and not the other; some do both. Explain THAT to anyone who's confused and they usually come around pretty quickly.

Main issue for me going in: The Poisoned mechanic feels like it should be doing damage over time, like in previous editions and in many video games. But nope. Just grants disadvantage.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'd like another condition that does what you say, like sickened or something, and for poison to do ongoing damage....
For some reason the designers didn't like Ongoing Damage for 5e and avoided it as often as possible. It does exist, but barely: Alchemical Fire and... what? Acid Arrow, sort of?

Remove ads