D&D (2024) Is there any confusion between Poison Damage and the Poisoned Condition?

Dausuul

Legend
I like the idea of renaming the condition to "sickened," which fits disease, poison, and a variety of other causes.

If a condition and a damage type have to share a name, they should come together whenever possible. Things imposing the condition should include at least a token amount of damage; things inflicting the damage should come with a chance of producing the condition.

And the condition should never be paired with a different damage type. Sheesh.

DavyGreenwind

Just some guy
Are there any features that grant immunity to one but not the other? I’m not aware of any off the top of my head
It's mainly Heroes Feast that causes confusion at my table. It's worded a little ambiguously, but it seems to only protect from the poisoned condition. Also, Necklace of Adaptation off the top of my head.

Yaarel

He Mage
Some of it based on the removal to references to Disease from certain abilities. Diseases generally used the Poisoned condition. But somehow I feel that the condition and the damage type, might confused with each other, even though immunity to the damage type usually comes with immunity to the condition. Does anyone think that either the Poisoned condition or the Poison Damage Type be renamed though to something else?
Actually, what I find confusing is "resistance" meaning half damage, versus "resistance" meaning advantage to a saving throw.

Maybe call damage resistance "resistance", but nondamage resistance ... "resilience".

For example, "Fire Resistance" and "Fear Resilience".

Tho it can be other way around.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Actually, what I find confusing is "resistance" meaning half damage, versus "resistance" meaning advantage to a saving throw.

Maybe call damage resistance "resistance", but nondamage resistance ... "resilience".

For example, "Fire Resistance" and "Fear Resilience".

Tho it can be other way around.
Is advantage on saving throws against poison called “resistance?” I didn’t think it had a specific game rules term, it’s usually just written out in full.

Yaarel

He Mage
Is advantage on saving throws against poison called “resistance?” I didn’t think it had a specific game rules term, it’s usually just written out in full.
Terms like "Poison Resistance" and "Necrotic Resistance" versus damage are official in the rules, and also show up in magic items like "Ring of Poison Resistance".

I would need to actually count the incidents, but my impression is, most of the time "Resistance" refers to damage resistance.

But there are still cases such as "Magic Resistance" that are of the saving throw advantage variety.

I would be fine with "Magic Resilience" or similar technical term for the saving throw advantage mechanic.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Terms like "Poison Resistance" and "Necrotic Resistance" versus damage are official in the rules, and also show up in magic items like "Ring of Poison Resistance".

I would need to actually count the incidents, but my impression is, most of the time "Resistance" refers to damage resistance.

But there are still cases such as "Magic Resistance" that are of the saving throw advantage variety.

I would be fine with "Magic Resilience" or similar technical term for the saving throw advantage mechanic.
Oh, like the name of the feature that grants the advantage? Ok, I see what you mean now.

I think poison damage and Poisoned could use a name change. I think the mistake may come if a player or DM doesn't understand that just because someone takes poison damage, it doesn't nessecarily mean that they get the Poisoned condition.

Remove ads