Is there demand for a “tactical” RPG akin to 4e?

aramis erak

Legend
After a little digging, I think that they are talking about another game called Teamfight Tactics, which is a League of Legends spin-off game that does use a hex grid for the battle space. But that's still something different than Final Fantasy Tactics, which is what we have been referencing.
I was referring to The Fantasy Trip. but that image doesn't ring Final Fantasy Tactics for me, either...

Thomas Shey

Legend
A lot of it this depends on how broadly or narrowly you're defining "tactical". Ruin Explorer a couple of posts up seems to be limiting it to games that have a strong option decision set (usually either power or maneuver based). I get where he's coming from, but I think that's a subset rather than where I'd draw the line, which is where position, movement and distance, along with choice of weapon are all significant. I'd suggest Savage Worlds lands firmly in that, as does the Fragged Empire game and its kin.

I mentioned earlier how certain builds in LANCER can give players tremendous problem-solving power in certain types of missions. I think 11dragonkid demonstrates this quite well with this LANCER battle report, in which teleport beacons conquer all.

What makes a good tactical RPG? What design cues have more-tactically focused TTRPGs have taken from 4e D&D and video games (e.g., FFT, D:OS2, ec.)?
One of my favourites is the job-switching system from some of the Final Fantasies - Tom Parkinson-Morgan tips the hat to the Job system by literally calling his combat classes "Jobs" in ICON.

Also, having character builds that have a specific function (defend, control, damage or support), with strong siloing of abilities towards those functions, helps to create that 4e feel we're looking for. And ICON does it in interesting ways. Here are three different Stalwart (defending warrior) Jobs, each with a clear identity and a different approach to combat:
  • The Bastion is a proud knight with abilities like ramming foes with a shield, or flinging the shield so that it bounces off multiple enemies. Their traits let them dash after enemies they have shoved, and inflict dazing or stunning effects during collisions with enemies. And when they use shoves, dazes and stuns against enemies that are immune to those effects, they deal bonus damage instead.
  • The Demon Slayer specializes in fighting ferocious monsters with powerful melee, throwing and leaping attacks. As long as they have not gone yet in each round, they are immune to shoves, dazes and stuns (typically inflicted by their favoured enemies). This plays toward their tendency to charge up slower, more powerful attacks that do more damage or are harder to save against.
  • The Head Lopper is a berserk follower of Arenheir, the Wolf Titan, capable of boosting abilities and increasing distance of dashes, shoves and flight by willingly taking a wound. When under half HP, they do bonus damage and become immune to shoves, dazes and stuns. Their abilities may involve grappling, carrying and hurling enemies. The majority of their abilities also have short-ranged flight effects, representing their supernatural leaping mobility!
20211112_001934.jpg

Demon Slayer by Tom Parkinson-Morgan

Remove ads