D&D 5E Is there something in between Play by Post and Live Play?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
My little baby is turning seven weeks old today, and I love him like crazy, but... He's really getting in the way of D&D!

I'm finding that in-person (face to face or online) play is difficult right now because it's tough to secure a number of hours without interruptions. So I'm looking for other options.

I haven't tried Play by Post in a while, but in my limited experience I found it a little too slow.

Are there other modes of online D&D (or other RPGs) that I'm not familiar with? Something that doesn't require my undivided attention for hours, but that's a little faster than Play by Post?

Thank you for any recommendations!

Bolares

Hero
I'm finding that in-person (face to face or online) play is difficult right now because it's tough to secure a number of hours without interruptions. So I'm looking for other options.
One of my players had this exact situation. We managed by playing online, and giving him a lot of leway for sudden interruptions and disappearences to care for the little one. Talk to your group and your partner, I bet they will be a lot more acomodating than you expect.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
One of my players had this exact situation. We managed by playing online, and giving him a lot of leway for sudden interruptions and disappearences to care for the little one. Talk to your group and your partner, I bet they will be a lot more acomodating than you expect.
Similarly, we had a remote, virtual DM once who was in a different time zone than most of the players, and they had to end things early (our time) so they could make and eat dinner. We told them we'd be fine if they wanted to take a half hour off mid-game to eat, and that wound up working really well.

I'm sure there are chat-based games on stuff like Discord?

GreyLord

Legend
My little baby is turning seven weeks old today, and I love him like crazy, but... He's really getting in the way of D&D!

I haven't tried Play by Post in a while, but in my limited experience I found it a little too slow.

Are there other modes of online D&D (or other RPGs) that I'm not familiar with? Something that doesn't require my undivided attention for hours, but that's a little faster than Play by Post?

Thank you for any recommendations!

Play One on One with your Partner. Take breaks as necessary/required/desired.

Various ways to play.

1. True One on One where you or they are the DM and the other a player in a solo adventure.

2. Old School, where one of you are the DM and the other controls a party. One is the PC, the rest are henchmen of the PC (or hirelings).

3. Cooperative, where you or they or both share DM duties and both have a PC (or PC's if so desired).

It's not online, not really in person with everyone else, but it IS in person with someone, and you can get playtime adaptable to little baby's needs.

Short online sessions of 1-2 hrs.

Your 7-week-old baby should soon (within a few months) get a more stable sleep schedule and you will be able to plan. You gotta be realistic that planning anything with a 7-week-old is impossible. But soon you will be able to plan short sessions. Working days (evenings) may be ideal if your friends are up for it.

There are plenty online tools for combat. You can also set up a 2nd laptop with camera onto the table where you usually play, and just draw your map and use the minis as always.

Remove ads