Is WOTC headed for a TSR-ending? :/

malkav666

First Post
D&D, the game was the backbone of TSR and when it started to fail, so did the company. For WOTC, D&D is a marketable IP that can be morphed into whatever form will generate the best, and most sustainable revenue.

If D&D as a PnP game fails, then I want the next best thing...

Dungeons & Dragons breakfast cereal, with marshmallow beholders, mimics, and dragons.

That is all.

love,

malkav

Nai_Calus

First Post
If D&D as a PnP game fails, then I want the next best thing...

Dungeons & Dragons breakfast cereal, with marshmallow beholders, mimics, and dragons.

That is all.

love,

malkav

Lucky Charms already has mimics. You just don't notice them because they're mimicing stars, hearts, moons, horseshoes... :p

AllisterH

First Post
Again I'll ask.

Why do people ignore M:TG?

You do realize it is still one of the most successful product lines (and only exceeded by Pokemon and Yugi-Oh among CCGs)

Jack99

Adventurer
WotC are working hard on avoiding to end up like TSR - this is the real reason why they are transitioning to a digital state. That way they need no stinking printers ;)

Nymrohd

First Post
I do think that the Pen n Paper market base is subject to aging. It is progressively harder to attract the younger customers who expect the ease of use computerised versions offer and often are not so excited about the more directly personal aspect of Pen n Paper games. The fact that our community is very opinionated about what we like and don't like and so tend to splinter into subgroups has probably already fractured the market extensively (forget the recent edition wars, every edition change in any RPG I know has created splinter groups who stick to former editions for a variety of reasons). An ever diminishing, ever fracturing market will eventually stop being a worthwhile market and many companies will not really be sustainable. Honesly I think that a virtual game table that can provide ease of use would be one of the best ways for D&D to improve their market base. But honestly even though it was promised I do not see it happening any time soon.

Celebrim

Legend
Again I'll ask.

Well, because speaking as a M:tG player whose been with the game since Legends era, it's because M:tG is slowly collapsing as well. It has fewer and fewer American players and especially casual ones, and it is milking them harder and harder to sustain its cash flow. I think International sales are really the only thing keeping it going (well, at this level, it could survive indefinately probably on a slower product cycle).

Additionally, I think that M:tG is reaching its practical design limit, and that the design of sets and cards will get more and more strained from here on out with fewer and fewer novel ideas that aren't clunky. It's been a good run for the game, but you can't go on churning out 1000 new cards per year and not reach a point of redundancy.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Magic:The Gathering, while it may be the biggest WotC product in North America, is not the biggest product in the WotC catalogue.

Again I'll ask.

You do realize it is still one of the most successful product lines (and only exceeded by Pokemon and Yugi-Oh among CCGs)

Because most of us (not all, generalization) are role players who look to the original game as the barometer. It's childish, since M:tG is technically a much stronger line a better barometer for WotC.

I think the real issue is whether D&D will survive, not WotC. As for me, M:tG = much suck - I hate CCGs. But, then I'm an old fat beard, so, it's understandable. ;)

Remove ads