Is WotC playing 4d Chess with the 5.1 SRD CC?

delericho

Legend
For pity's sake - it isn't like we gave them any TIME to think it through, now did we? We put them under time pressure, and then we complain that they didn't take time to think things through?
Who's complaining? I'm just noting that it was probably a mistake.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Who's complaining? I'm just noting that it was probably a mistake.

I am not so sure it was.
As I've already noted, the name alone isn't particularly valuable.

From there, whether it is a mistake depends on the goals of the person taking the action, and the repercussions of that action. Can we even claim to know either at this point?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
With all of the references to the New Coke debacle, I'm remembering a statement from Donald Keough about the conspiracy theory that Coke came out with a new formula in order to spark a backlash that would enable them to revitalize the brand and spike sales (playing 4D chess, in other words): "We're not that dumb, and we're not that smart."

Jer

Legend
Supporter
With all of the references to the New Coke debacle, I'm remembering a statement from Donald Keough about the conspiracy theory that Coke came out with a new formula in order to spark a backlash that would enable them to revitalize the brand and spike sales (playing 4D chess, in other words): "We're not that dumb, and we're not that smart."
Could you imagine the risk of actually playing 4d chess as a company like that? "Oh we're going to intentionally tank our brand so that we can turn around and look like heroes so it will make our brand even stronger" is a ridiculous risk to take.
(I mean, there was a lot of cocaine in the 80s so you can't completely rule it out, but still...)

This isn't much like the New Coke fiasco. For New Coke, the company did taste tests and surveys first. They had good data that, generally speaking, the new flavor was preferable to the target markets.

Also, part of the problem with New Coke was the test methodology was fatally flawed.

They entirely used "sip" tests. Have testers take a sip of this beverage. Now have them take a sip of this beverage. Which do you prefer?

People don't drink soda by the little sip. They usually drink it by the glass or cup full. The taste experience apparently was very different. What people might like in a controlled test, having a small sip of didn't work out as well when someone went to get a big glass of it in the kitchen, or a cup of it at a fast food place, or opened a can of it to chug.

They tested old coke vs. new coke in one very specific test, and didn't realize that didn't extend to other use cases, like typical soda consumption.

They didn't "release Strahd into the wild". The let his name be used, but no lore or stats. So, for example, if you talk about "Strahd the vampire," you are on thin ice. Fat lot of good that does anyone.
Actually, the fact that Strahd is a vampire is part of the CC release.

It was released as part of the Divine Sense paladin ability, in its description.

The relevant sentence is:

You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance)

So yeah, you should be fine under the CC release to refer to Strahd as a vampire, or use the full name "Count Strahd von Zarovich".

. . .that he's the Dark Lord of Barovia, who rules from Castle Ravenloft in the Demiplane of Dread. . .with an obsession over his lost love Tatyana. . .those things are a definite no-go.

It sure does look like you can make your own generic Dracula-knockoff be called "Count Strahd von Zarovich" though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also, part of the problem with New Coke was the test methodology was fatally flawed.

They entirely used "sip" tests. Have testers take a sip of this beverage. Now have them take a sip of this beverage. Which do you prefer?

People don't drink soda by the little sip. They usually drink it by the glass or cup full.

I haven't ever seen a review of the methodologies used, so I cannot speak to that.

It seems fair to mention two (and a half) things:
1) With respect, I have rarely seen anyone drink, say, and entire 12 oz can of soda in one long pull. They take a swallow or two, and put the can back down, so while it may turn out to be a flawed methodology, it seems a reasonable guess. One usually learns of failed testing methodologies when the testing fails to accurately test - learning how to test is trial and error.
1a) I know there's issues with comparison tests if you don't do the comparison immediately. You aren't going to get a reliable comparison if you expect the tester to have to go through two cans of soda before giving you a response.
2) I'm sorry, but you don't get accusations that the formula change was a "communist plot" out of using a sip test over some other testing protocol.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases