• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire Part 2, Mermaid's Rest

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook

"If it's acceptable to Captain Morwyn, I'll try to slip past the wall. I believe the world would be well rid of these creatures whether they have Allois or not, so rather than spending time and risking discovery searching for Allois I suggest that my skills would be best utilized providing a way for the rest of you to enter the compound (relatively) quietly so we can maximize our element of surprise and take them out. I have a spell that will allow me to get a message to you if you're within just over 100' of me (OOC: 130 ft.), so I can inform you either of the place I've provided you to enter or the need for your immediate presence.

Magister Gnurl, I've said I'm pretty good at moving about undetected (and that is true) but whatever aid you could give me in that department could be helpful. The aforementioned invisibility spell is the most effective help I can imagine, but if you have the ability to provide more shadows for me to hide in that would be almost as good.

If anyone wishes to go in with me, the company would be welcome - perhaps the invisibility spell for them rather than me?

Further planning seems difficult to me since we know little about the layout of the place, but if anyone has suggestions to improve our (slim) chances of success I'd like to hear them.

For some reason, I also am feeling a sense of urgency about this - I believe we need to balance further planning with speed and direct action."

Scotley

Hero
Trouble on Deck

A subtle increase in the activity and noice on deck filters down to the cabin. The sailors among you note a swaying in the deck as the ship changes course slightly. The tread of feet on deck and then shouts are heard. The urgent pounding of a small fist on the cabin door is followed by a tense female halfling voice, "Captain, sirs! You are wanted on deck."

Leif

Adventurer
(ooc: ok, I don't really get the mechanics of this situation. Will Rook climb directly from the 'Sheet to another ship, or will he travel there by boat or by swimming? If he crosses directly over the gunwales of both ships, then I should cast the spell now. But if he won't be to the other ship for some time, then I should wait until he is approaching the limit of the spell's range so that the time he is invisible will be maximized.)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook

OOC: My understanding is that the 'Sheet will take us part way, then we'll disembark and finish the rest of the trip on foot while the 'Sheet continues to progress toward the drydock. This is all very confusing, but it may be a moot point . . . :confused:

IC: Rook will head up to the deck.

Scotley

Hero
Spot Checks

Those of you coming onto the deck may roll spot checks. Please only open the spoiler for your result not the higher ones.

[sblock=0-5]You blink helplessly in the sudden brightness on deck after being in the dim cabin.[/sblock]

[sblock=6-9]Shading your eyes against the mid-afternoon sun you note several crewmen looking aft, but can't get a clear view.[/sblock]

[sblock=10-14]Moving onto a clear space at the rail you look aft and see an odd wave moving toward the Rumpled Bedsheet just starboard of dead aft.[/sblock]

[sblock=15-18]Your keen eyes note a strange mounding of water as if something large is moving behind the ship and off to the right a little. It is slowly closing with the ship.[/sblock]

[sblock=19-21]Something big is moving toward the Rumpled Bedsheet from behind. It is closely slowly from just starboard of dead astern. Fish and other sea creatures seem to be moving away from the mounding of water in fear.[/sblock]

[sblock=22-25]A very largre oblong creature is moving toward the 'Bedsheet from behind. It closes slowly. It is causing a wave of water to rise over it as it moves just below the surface. You catch just a hint of a large flat tail suggesting the beast is at least 80' long. Other sea creatures can be seen fleeing in terror.[/sblock]

[sblock=26+]A very largre oblong creature is moving toward the 'Bedsheet from behind. It closes slowly. It is causing a wave of water to rise over it as it moves just below the surface. You catch just a hint of a large flat tail of rotting flesh with some bone showing through suggesting the undead beast is at least 80' long. Other sea creatures can be seen fleeing in terror.[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Leif said:
(ooc: ok, I don't really get the mechanics of this situation. Will Rook climb directly from the 'Sheet to another ship, or will he travel there by boat or by swimming? If he crosses directly over the gunwales of both ships, then I should cast the spell now. But if he won't be to the other ship for some time, then I should wait until he is approaching the limit of the spell's range so that the time he is invisible will be maximized.)

OOC: Picture of a crowded maze of boats and ships roped together and linked by floating walkways. These vessels form a city with some serving as shops, taverns, inns and houses. Near one side of this linked fleet is a clear space of open water about 30' across. On the other side of this expanse is a wooden wall supported by pontoons. This wall has the expanse of water all the way around and is circular. Only one walkway goes across this expanse. Within the wall is more open water and a very large floating dry dock with two big ships perhaps a 120' long each within. They are partly disassmbled. There are a couple of smaller ships attached to the dry dock. A few men can be seen manning the 'gate' where the walkway meets the wall. Rook could either try to walk along the walkway and slip past or be let out of a small boat or even the ship at one of the pontoons or he could swim the 30'. While not visible from outside the wall, your familiar has informed you of the large number of undead working on the dry dock.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Mowgli said:
Spot Check (1d20+8=17)

"Something closing astern! It looks big!"

Rook will knock an arrow to DúbhAnáil and prepare to fire when the thing gets in range.

The moving wave is perhaps 240' away and closing fast enough to be at the 'Bedsheet within 3 or 4 rounds. The Rumpled Bedsheet is moving slowing under a slight breeze with little room to manuver in the crowded confines of the 'Rest.

Leif

Adventurer
What Gnurl saw...

"Something big is moving toward the Rumpled Bedsheet from behind. It is closing slowly from just starboard of dead astern. Fish and other sea creatures seem to be moving away from the swell of water in fear."

If we're close enough to shore that I can reasonably reach dry land on my own power (like, say less than the length of the ship), then my Gnomish butt is heading for the hills, from the side of the ship opposite the menacing swell. If we're father out than that, then Gnurl will go to the base of the main mast, curl into a little ball, and whimper.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads