• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E it appears to be very easy to break the game

Teataine

Explorer
So basically throwing them out and redesigning them from scratch? yeah... See Hussar's post above...
Uh...two completely different contexts. Shipping a finished game that requires work is pretty bad. Adding a few numbers to monsters in a playtest doc to update them to the mathematical standard of the PCs to enjoy the playtest more is a completely different thing.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah I'm pretty willing to give someone a break when we're talking about an unfinished product.

And it's not like I think you need a rule for everything. Toolbox games which are up front about the fact that you are buying a toolset rather than a complete game are fine so long as they aren't missing three wrenches and a screwdriver.

After all something like Savage Worlds is much more of a toolset than a complete game. But you can use what's inSavage Worlds to consistently create an experience that people who like the system will enjoy.

There's nothing wrong with an RPG cookbook so long as they include all the ingredients.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
Uh...two completely different contexts. Shipping a finished game that requires work is pretty bad. Adding a few numbers to monsters in a playtest doc to update them to the mathematical standard of the PCs to enjoy the playtest more is a completely different thing.

Why are we still talking about the unfinished product. No point in playing it anymore as according to the developers its unlikely that 5E will look anything like the packets. Unless you are just a history buff and want to see what it was like during the play test, there is literally no point in playing it anymore.

Instead why not go play a retroclone or 1E or 2E? Much more rounded in design...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Why are we still talking about the unfinished product. No point in playing it anymore as according to the developers its unlikely that 5E will look anything like the packets.

Link?

Unless you are just a history buff and want to see what it was like during the play test, there is literally no point in playing it anymore.

I think "It's really fun to play and my players already know that system and like it" is a point to playing it still. I'm playing tonight in fact.

VictorC

Explorer
Why are we still talking about the unfinished product. No point in playing it anymore as according to the developers its unlikely that 5E will look anything like the packets

I too would like a link to this. I have been following this pretty close and haven't seen anything close to this

the Jester

Legend
Why are we still talking about the unfinished product. No point in playing it anymore as according to the developers its unlikely that 5E will look anything like the packets.

Cite?

But we're still talking about it because we want to. If you don't want to, nobody is forcing you to. What do you have against talking about it?

Unless you are just a history buff and want to see what it was like during the play test, there is literally no point in playing it anymore.

What about fun?

Instead why not go play a retroclone or 1E or 2E? Much more rounded in design...

What if you like 5e, even the unfinished playtest version, better than 1e or 2e retroclones?

Play what you want, but you come off sounding like you assume that everyone else should play what you want, too- instead of what they want.

There's not an official cite for it. There's a stated opinion by several forumites that WotC would be foolish to release a packet that is anywhere close to resembling the final rules, for business reasons. That's what he's referencing.

Ichneumon

First Post
If people want to keep playing the D&D Next prerelease rules after the play test is over, that's a feather in WotC's cap. Since there'll be roughly 5-6 months between the last playtest download and sending the launch books to the printer, I'd expect to see quite a bit of change. But I very much doubt we'll be blindsided by a radically different product. Instead, I'd expect to see change in the 'player elements' (classes, races, feats), some adjustments to the subsystems, and a whole lot of additional material for spells, monsters and magic items - with the guts of the game (combat/skill resolution) remaining fairly consistent.

Sadras

Legend
...(snip)... there is literally no point in playing it anymore.

Actually there is. It is enjoyable as it incorporates mechanics that we want from previous editions without the problems we had (in our group) of those previous editions. Sure we make a few house rules here or there, but we did that in every edition prior anyways.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
So basically throwing them out and redesigning them from scratch? yeah... See Hussar's post above...

Basically what I done. Plugged in a save system, tweaked ACs and added saves and skills for my home brew, OSR/3rd ed hybrid with some bits and pieces of 4th ed (I have some encounter powers, 4E round structure).

Wyvern
Large Dragon
Initiative +0 Senses Perception +7darkvision 60'
HD 7d12+ 28 hp 70
AC 19
Saves: Fort +12 Ref +8 Will +8
Speed: 20' Fly 60'
Attack: 2,
+11 bite 2d8+4,
+11 sting 1d8+4 + poison
Abilities: Str 19 Dex 10 Con 18 Int 5 Wis 12 Cha 4
Alignment:N Languages-
Skill: Perception +12, Stealth +6
Traits
Keen Senses, +5 to perception checks
Sting (DC 15 fort save, 10d6 damage on a failed save)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads