It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

This is trying to make a distinction without too much of a difference. Do you think that the people of Paizo care too much about this distinction when it comes to WotC threatening their business?

Do you think, the people of paizo do everything out of the good of their hearts?
Offering ORC at exactly that time was a business decision. An ice cold jab at WotC. Because they think they will harvest some desillusioned WotC fans...

Again. Not to say, it was not good for the fans and 3pp and one of the things that may eventually have led to WotC folding.

I think that answering this is irrelvant to the point I was making about how people are now feeling unsafe about WotC's "safe harbor."

I don't think so.
Paizo and WotC are both legal entities with leaders that try to sell as much products as they can.
Creating Pathfinder migh very well be one of the reasons why someone at WotC wanted to change the OGL.
Taking 90% of their game and using it to be their biggest competitor at that time was probably something they wanted to avoid.

Edit: my trust in "Paizo" is also very low. I think they are good at seizing opportunities and building a fanbase. I don't think their games are particularly well done in general.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think so.
Paizo and WotC are both legal entities with leaders that try to sell as much products as they can.
Creating Pathfinder migh very well be one of the reasons why someone at WotC wanted to change the OGL.
Taking 90% of their game and using it to be their biggest competitor at that time was probably something they wanted to avoid.
Which is why someone at WotC was able to remove that temptation, permanently. Now Black Flag and C7d20 can make a 5E Pathfinder, forever.

Aldarc

Legend
I don't think so.
Edit: To be clear, my argument is not about Paizo. It's about how various individuals or even 3pp feel about what they once regarded and were told was a "safe harbor." That safe harbor was threatened. Not everyone will be eager to return. It doesn't matter if people can "trust" corporations or the people at corporations. I don't think anything really comes of trying to invalidate how people are feeling about the situation by splitting hairs about whether corporations can be trusted or not.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Hasbro's actions mean that I will consider their future products. I was already off the automatic buy train for D&D books. Now, something will have to create a lot of positive buzz for me to pick it up.

That's quite a bit further from the space where I was at before Hasbro backed down - when I was prepared to buy nothing new for D&D.

Dustin_00

Explorer
Before going back, I'd need 2 things: a big carrot, and protection/peace of mind they couldn't do it again.
It's so sad that instead of making DnDBeyond the juicy go-to carrot, they went with a legal whip.

And it's so weird how WotC gets one licensed digital project out the door about once every other year, but Games Workshop has approached digital gaming and just cranked out projects with many dev teams, getting around 2 releases a year. They put out turn-based, action, RTS, mech, star ships, survival, and freakin' orc fighter simulations -- give them a game genre, and they pick the IP that matches that genre and run with it. They get to see what works, what doesn't, and cycle forward on that. Maybe WotC could learn from that.

Remove ads