• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

ECMO3

Hero
Some guy points a gun at me, I'm never trusting them again, whether they intended to pull the trigger or not in the first place.

Especially if I am being led to believe it's loaded. Even if it isn't.

That is easy to say, it is much harder to do. As I said earlier in this thread, I have actually had someone point a loaded .357 at my head. I knew for a fact it was loaded, both because it was my pistol and I could see the rounds inside the cylinder since it was pointed at me. At the time I was not in a position to simply walk away from him and break ties.

At the end of the day practical realities typically override such high-minded principles.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
What literally happened was that WotC attempted to revoke the OGL and got headed off at the pass because of the leak. That they didn't finish the attempt does not make it an attempt that "never happened."

I don'r think they "attempted" to revoke the OGL. A more accurate description is they intended to revoke it and were laying the groundwork to do that in a variety of ways.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don'r think they "attempted" to revoke the OGL. A more accurate description is they intended to revoke it and were laying the groundwork to do that in a variety of ways.
They had already sent it out with contract. The ball left the hand. We intercepted it and ran in back for a touchdown. They did in fact attempt to make that touchdown(revoke the OGL), though. A failed attempt is still an attempt.

As for how they harmed the game. Have you looked at all the 3PP fleeing the game over this?

ECMO3

Hero
They had already sent it out with contract. The ball left the hand. We intercepted it and ran in back for a touchdown. They did in fact attempt to make that touchdown(revoke the OGL), though. A failed attempt is still an attempt.

As for how they harmed the game. Have you looked at all the 3PP fleeing the game over this?

To start with it was a draft contract. I know people claim it wasn't a draft, but it is also reported that it was incomplete and sent with edits left to be added and comments embedded in the text itself.

That point aside sending a contract to companies to arrange a new relationship between WOTC and those companies would not revoke OGL1.0a. Even if it was a final contract and even if those companies did agree to it, that act would not revoke OGL1.0a. It would have been a precursor to it perhaps.

Last edited:

I would say if you are trying to get people to sign contracts without anyone knowing, it goes from "intending" to "attempt". Action was taken, it simply did not get to completion.

But all this seems to try and obscure Wizards actions by saying "Well, they didn't technically do this, so it should be easier to forgive them". This whole line of thought is very irritating for people who watched as Wizards doubled down in OGL 1.2 in the deauthorization and how often we were told that this was just "going to happen".

Really, if Wizards wants to be "forgiven", it will take time for many... as it should. This whole topic just feels wrongheaded and counterproductive in that regard. Trust is like glass: easy to break, hard to repair. They would be better off quietly working with the community and continuing to build that trust, rather than expecting people to simply come back around quickly.

ECMO3

Hero
Why is it so important to convince people who feel harmed that they were not actually harmed?

And why try to convince people who feel harmed that they actually benefited?

So that people are not truely harmed.

I would much rather have people who feel they were harmed realize they weren't really, than have people retaliate and truely harm creators and subsequently destroy their livelihood.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To start with it was a draft contract. I know people claim it wasn't a draft, but it is also reported that it was incomplete and sent with edits left to be added and comments embedded in the text itself.

That point aside sending a contract to companies to arrange a new relationship between WOTC and those companies would not revoke OGL1.0a. Even if it was a final contract and even if those companies did agree to it, that act would not revoke OGL1.0a. It would have been a precursor to it perhaps.
That's still action to the end of revoking the OGL. Whether you believe it was farther back when the ball was intercepted or you think it was farther along, the attempt was still made.

darjr

I crit!
So that people are not truely harmed.

I would much rather have people who feel they were harmed realize they weren't really, than have people retaliate and truely harmed creators and subsequently have their livelihoods destroyed.
Cancelled projects. People sleepless about hitting their mortgage or paying employees. I had a friend posting ominous things like the hour he wept in his car! And he was on WotCs side! I watched many many creators talk about stress, sleepless nights, panic, contemplating having to change thier entire careers.

Fights amongst friends, online and off.

WotC corporate caused this.

Your gaslighting is not appreciated.

WotC even acknowledged the harm they caused!

And to try and apologize they put the SRD 5.1 into CC! My stars if you dint think that’s a profound statement of how bad they messed things up I implore you to reconsider.

Remove ads