It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

Why don't you let people decide if they want to do that for themselves? What do all the people trying to convince everyone to forgive and buy a giant company's products get out of it??

I think generally we are better off not pressuring other people to agree with us on everything, even issues like this one. I have strong views on WOTC at the moment but I very much believe people should be able to make up their own minds on these issues. I think that is important for most issues in the hobby: people want to be able to think for themselves

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
I think generally we are better off not pressuring other people to agree with us on everything, even issues like this one. I have strong views on WOTC at the moment but I very much believe people should be able to make up their own minds on these issues. I think that is important for most issues in the hobby: people want to be able to think for themselves
Yup. The thing that people aren't understanding is that we do not all want the same thing here.

The train is not going to the destination all of us wish to reach.

Those who wish to reach that destination are best served getting back onboard the train.
Those who want a destination in another direction are best served getting onto a different train that's actually heading that way instead.

And that's absolutely fine, it's natural for people to want different things. Don't mourn it, celebrate it ;)

The more I think about it, the more offensive the idea is that we need to "get back on board."

No. Hell no. they broke trust in a way that is unforgettable, even if you might consider it forgivable, and I absolutely do not have to get "on board" and give them money for canceling their stupid, evil plan.

Unforgettable. Maybe. Unforgivable? Hell no.
You don't have to go on board again. If it offends you, you might consider taking a step backwards. Noone wants to offend you.

Clint_L

Hero
We are talking about WOTC like it is a monolithic living being. WOTC does not have feelings, it can not use logic, it as an entity that doesn't even really make statements. It is people doing those things, and it includes both good and bad people and to me those good people are part of our community and need our support. Those good people at WOTC arguably saved the game itself and the game is still as fun to play as it was a month ago.
I would like to build on this.

I agree that anthropomorphizing a corporation as if you are in a relationship with a singular person doesn't seem very useful to me. There is nothing personal between me and WotC (or me and Hasbro, because the two are largely the same thing on this particular issue). I am very results oriented when it comes to what I think about companies - what am I getting out of them, and am I okay with how they are making it? For me, forgiveness implies some kind of emotional relationship that I can't have and don't want with a corporation.

I do want to push back a little on the "good and bad" people description, because people are complicated and I don't want to define someone in their entirety based on the stance they took on this issue.

Jaeger

That someone better

"It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard."​

GIF by Giphy QA

Saying that they will leave 1.0a alone is not the same as publicly acknowledging that it was irrevocable to begin with.

They say that they are giving their customers "what they want", while at the same time still engaging in sly wordsmithing...

Wotzi has proven that despite changes in executive management; that they cannot be trusted:
I, however, will not "get back on board". And I'm not coming from a place of malice with this, but a place of understanding.

This isn't the first time they've tried a similar stunt.
Their decision, while good, is still calculated on their part.
Their dishonesty while this was this was going on
eroded a lot of good will I had left.

My stance is based on understanding that it's an abusive relationship and I want to distance myself from being trapped in it again.

^This^

Wotzi only folded like a wet handkerchief when their gaslighting didn't work. And they are still calling their OGL 1.1 a draft...

You don't need official Wotzi product to play "D&D"!

I really hope that at least one of the 3pp that was going to make a 5e clone sticks to their guns, and gives 5e players options.

The hobby really needs to break the cycle at this point.

Bix and Box

Explorer
Forgive? Get back on board?!

WotC just tried to screw us.

Whereas the 3PPs offered us their own OGL. Paizo commited to fight WotC in court. Paizo announced Pathfinder sales that scared the death out of WotC.

Now you want us to forsake Paizo and the other 3PPs, after they just helped us win this battle?

That's gratitude for ya!

Remove ads