It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

You strike me as a person who perhaps struggles with empathy.

Speaking of empathy.
People at WotC who just want to design their game. People who worked on the movie out of love.
People who were just happy to see a D&D movie.
I am also empathizing with 3pp who were hurt and had 3 terrible weeks.

There are very few people I am not empathizing with.
The deciders at WotC who all that was a good idea. Maybe I have even a little sympathy for some of them, because maybe they thought it would be best for D&D to disallow bigotry...

So why do you think some people are worth your empathy and some are not?

Here is a tweet I found, that underlines my sentiment:

Last edited:

gweinel

Explorer
"Forgive"??? Not for me. I can not forgive a corporate who brought chaos in the ttrpg just to make more money while at the same time would destroy many smaller companies in order to "crush" competion. Their intentions are still there. This kind of thinking is hard-coded in companies like Hasbro. They will try it again in the future, thats for sure.
Having said that, as Ryan Dancey said, the DnD workers who fought this war from inside have my deep respect.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You strike me as a person who perhaps struggles with empathy.

How about this... I empathize with the children in the Congo who were and still are used as laborers by companies like Apple, Google and Microsoft to mine cobalt ... I do struggle to empathize with those who might have had the OGL 1.0a taken away but ultimately didn't... So please continue to tell me what type of person I perhaps am...

Do you know why the textile industry wants children working on manufacturing clothes?

It's because they can reach their hands into the machines without having to turn them off.

Best
This thread is going off the rails. Drop that subject, please.

Branduil

Hero
I think you have a point there, but only in as much as everyone co-operated because the 900lb gorilla needed to be taken down and nobody was big enough to do it by themselves. If you don't have a 900lb gorilla to create that level of threat, you don't need the entire community to deal with it when it acts up.

The idea of the RPG hobby needing a 900lb gorilla so we can all be scared of it and pull together against it feels a bit strange.
I revoked the OGL 1.0a 35 minutes ago
EwQGh8sXEAAF5if.jpg

Wade Kemper

Villager
It seems to me that a lot of people who are still mad and hold a grudge even after WOTC backed down and reversed course were just waiting to pounce on them anyway.

I hope you find what you're looking for in another game, but I love 5e and I appreciate WOTC for what they've done with the corpse TSR delivered to them (Yes, even 4e was fun!)

Long live TTRPGs!

Aldarc

Legend
It seems to me that a lot of people who are still mad and hold a grudge even after WOTC backed down and reversed course were just waiting to pounce on them anyway.

I hope you find what you're looking for in another game, but I love 5e and I appreciate WOTC for what they've done with the corpse TSR delivered to them (Yes, even 4e was fun!)

Long live TTRPGs!
I will probably always be wary around a person who brandishes a lethal weapon in my direction regardless of whether they used the weapon against me or decided not to. This is why many 3pp are looking at other licenses like CC or ORC. Not everyone feels as safe in WotC's "safe harbor" anymore. It's not about wanting to pounce on WotC; instead, it's about not wanting to risk being pounced on.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
For me, this gets back to where it was before this whole kerfuffle: how different is the next edition going to be? What's happened has made a significant impact on the game, though, as many companies who's product I like were starting to design their own systems that are 5E compatible. Will that actually still happen?

The reason I ask that is because if 6E is more of a 5.5/5.25E, where there are minor changes, but you can still use 5E books/classes/spells I can just pick one of the many 5E clones and use that. What's more, I can use it on Foundry or Roll20 and just ignore what WotC is doing entirely. Maybe I'll pick up an expansion book here or there if it interests me, but unless WotC changes their publishing model, how many would that actually be? There will have to be something really interesting in 6E in terms of rules to make me adopt it.

The funny thing was, before this all happened, I expected I would pick up the 6E PHB just to be up to date, and if my group was going to use the VTT, I'd get a sub to that as well. Now, unless there's something really new and different (which WotC has said isn't the plan) I can just use whatever 5E product that launches from a third part company.

I think this is the textbook definition of a pyrrhic victory at this point.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
My uncle once explained to me "The Trust Glass."

Imagine a glass of water. You can put water in and take water out. But, if the glass is ever empty, it will break. That is trust.

WOTC emptied out the Trust Glass.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
I am astounded and completely applaud their final decision. However, that doesn't just wipe away what they tried to do, they attempted to create a walled garden within the D&D Beyond ecosystem for OneDND while simultaneously turning everything outside of those walls into a nuclear wasteland. They messed up, they let the cats out of the bag, and now those cats are transforming into an Orc horde.

Granted, anyone that has played RPGs for a long time knows that there is plenty of awesome stuff outside of the D&D/OSR space, it's just this generation's chance to find out about all these cool games.

Aside: I sincerely wish Edge Studios would get off their collective behinds and start producing some Star Wars stuff!

Remove ads