It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It seems to me that a lot of people who are still mad and hold a grudge even after WOTC backed down and reversed course were just waiting to pounce on them anyway.
Emotional states and emotion-based assessments do not generally go away instantaneously.

Expect some people to be mad for a long time, and to have positions based on that for the rest of their lives.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm talking pure facts... nothing actually changed. I'm not the one debating what might've, could've been.
If a close friend of yours tries to shoot you and misses, then says they are really sorry and sells their gun, nothing has actually changed. You are alive and unharmed. He no longer has the gun. Are you just going to immediately forgive your friend because he got rid of the gun?

My uncle once explained to me "The Trust Glass."

Imagine a glass of water. You can put water in and take water out. But, if the glass is ever empty, it will break. That is trust.

WOTC emptied out the Trust Glass.
Are you sure that analogy is correct... Maybe you mean: if the glass breaks, it will become empty and cannot be refilled anymore...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Speaking of empathy.
People at WotC who just want to design their game. People who worked on the movie out of love.
People who were just happy to see a D&D movie.
I am also empathizing with 3pp who were hurt and had 3 terrible weeks.

There are very few people I am not empathizing with.
The deciders at WotC who all that was a good idea. Maybe I have even a little sympathy for some of them, because maybe they thought it would be best for D&D to disallow bigotry...

So why do you think some people are worth your empathy and some are not?

Here is a tweet I found, that underlines my sentiment:

This is a lot of assumption on Dancey's. He's assuming that people inside WotC fought for this and it wasn't a numbers game to upper management. Maybe it happened. Maybe it didn't. Even if some in WotC disliked this, and I fully believe that there are, upper management who makes these kinds of decisions is just a few people and there's a good chance that none of those who disliked it were in that small group.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It seems to me that a lot of people who are still mad and hold a grudge even after WOTC backed down and reversed course were just waiting to pounce on them anyway.
Yep! Absolutely! I have been waiting 23 years for WotC to do exactly this just so I could have a reason to pounce on them. It's about time! I was beginning to think that they'd never do anything this bad.

This is a lot of assumption on Dancey's. He's assuming that people inside WotC fought for this and it wasn't a numbers game to upper management. Maybe it happened. Maybe it didn't. Even if some in WotC disliked this, and I fully believe that there are, upper management who makes these kinds of decisions is just a few people and there's a good chance that none of those who disliked it were in that small group.

Yes. I think so. But those below are those whose jobs are cut if we boycott forever.
And the higher ups, even when thrown out will get a lot of money to comfort themselves...

So I think, stopping the boycott for the time being is sending the right signal.

So overall, I "forgive WotC", which does not mean I do forgive every person in WotC right now.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
when your dog jumps up on you and gets mud on your work clothes, it’s not fun.

It’s in the dog’s nature to do it when excited. But it’s also on the dog owner to train the dog. Or accept the mud.

No value judgment from me—-I advocate we train the dog and shape behavior. It could happen again but maybe not for a while.

A business that is publicly traded will push to make a profit and the bigger the better. We are not talking about exploding ford pintos here.

But as a community, we yelled at the dog and it got down. There is nothing for me to forgive. WOTC is a dog. It does dog stuff. And if it craps in my shoe enough…nah I get that.

If it bites my kids—-then it may have to get another home. But the home is not going to be my headspace. Produce what I like, I buy. Don’t and I won’t. Muddy my pants and “get trained.”

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes. I think so. But those below are those whose jobs are cut if we boycott forever.
Oh, absolutely. There are two reasons why I really dislike boycotts. The first is what you just mentioned. If we boycott say Chick-fil-A for reasons, we're only hurting those below who weren't responsible and need the jobs to feed their families. We can't hurt the corporation since the corporation will just eliminate jobs and/or reduce hours to compensate for any losses, if there are any losses which brings me to the second point. Boycotts usually just earn the corporation extra money. You're giving the corporations tons of free publicity and those on the other side of the issue will make a point of repeatedly buying over a short period of time from whoever you are boycotting.

Boycotts almost always backfire. That's why even at the height of this fiasco, I only ever said that I would not be buying unless they fully fixed things and made the 3PP safe. I never called for others to do it.
And the higher ups, even when thrown out will get a lot of money to comfort themselves...
Yep.
So overall, I "forgive WotC", which does not mean I do forgive every person in WotC right now.
This is where we depart. I can buy things from the company without forgiving it for what was done. It's going to take significantly more for me to forgive them for this. And I will never, ever trust them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases