It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The PHB was the top selling item in Amazon's Puzzle and Game Reference section in 2022. Number 1, more than all the other D&D books buy WOTC, 3rd party creators and everyone ... so A LOT of people don't have them
Wait, it's the top-selling book, so a lot of people don't have it? What?

Scribe was asking who doesn't own the core books. The core books are the PHB, MM, and DMG.

Enough content where specifically? Peple wanting conent will either need to buy it second hand, steal it, or buy it new to play it.
There's enough content in just the PHB to play for the rest of your life, and the MM and DMG just add to that. Nobody actually needs all the supplements. Plus, there's multiple subreddits and many, many blogs dedicated to fanbrew archetypes, classes, races, monsters, spells, magic items, and even entire adventures. Heck, I once posted a document of 200+ spells converted from 2e to 5e to r/dndnext; I still get people DMing me about it. I created a version of that for Level Up, and have been posting monster conversions to the Level Up forum here.

If you want extra content, it's out there, for free, and some of it is better (or at least more interesting) than stuff WotC produces.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If you still play 5E and buy 5E and contribute to 5E sure. But WOTC will benefit from that (more than anyone honestly)

Youtubers who only cover WOTC 5E products are 3rd party creators. If you are boycotting them you are hurting 3rd party creators and hurting the community. Now maybe that is a part of the community you don't care about, but it is still part of the community.

That will be pretty hard to follow through on if you actually buy and use 5E products. Very, very few games are played without any WOTC 5E content outside of the SRD. As a matter of fact I have never playedc in a 5E game that did not include at lest some WOTC licensed material and I can't find a single 5E Fantasy RPG on start playing right now that does not include WOTC content. Not a single one out of several thousand!

While you may not personally might not give a dime to WOTC your DM and other players are.
I play Level Up, so I can confidently say I don't need WotC at all anymore.

mamba

Legend

Scribe was asking who doesn't own the core books. The core books are the PHB, MM, and DMG.
If everyone had it, I would not expect a lot of sales. It is selling great, so there are plenty people who do not have it yet. I doubt they all need a replacement copy...

MM and DMG are only core for the DM. Pretty sure there are more PHB sold than the other two.

Greg K

Legend

There's enough content in just the PHB to play for the rest of your life, and the MM and DMG just add to that. Nobody actually needs all the supplements. Plus, there's multiple subreddits and many, many blogs dedicated to fanbrew archetypes, classes, races, monsters, spells, magic items, and even entire adventures. Heck, I once posted a document of 200+ spells converted from 2e to 5e to r/dndnext; I still get people DMing me about it. I created a version of that for Level Up, and have been posting monster conversions to the Level Up forum here.

If you want extra content, it's out there, for free, and some of it is better (or at least more interesting) than stuff WotC produces.
I do not own the core books. I have the online Basic Rules and the SRD (although, I will probably pick up the core books at some point). Beyond the Basic Rules and SRD, everything I own for 5e comes from Drivethrurpg, DMGuild (no add-ons to WOTC settings/adventures), ENWorld, r/Unearthed Arcana, GMBinder, and blogs/websites.

But this assumes that everyone who buys a D&D adventure or sourcebook is going to buy a 3pp add-on, which is totally not the case.

And it still fails to take into consideration all of the other gaming companies out there. If I spend $50 on a WotC adventure and add-ons, then other 3pps and other companies "get hurt" because of that. If I spend that $50 on books from, say, Mophidius, then WotC and those 3pps "get hurt."

So this whole idea that I'm hurting people because I'm not buying WotC books anymore is ridiculous. It's not like it's WotC or nothing. It's literally hundreds or thousands of game companies, and probably nobody on this site is rich enough to support every one of them.
I'm failing to make my point clear to you. All good.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm failing to make my point clear to you. All good.
The point seems to be "WotC will magically know my intentions," and "it's bad if you don't buy WotC's books but OK if you don't buy Cypher System's or GURPS' books."

So, if you have a point other than that, please explain.

Unless your point is that I'm not buying 3pp tie-ins to WotC books, but I never bought those anyway, and neither did probably most people, in which case... I'm still not sure what your point is. Unless it's to say that WotC will magically know my intentions.

Faolyn

(she/her)
If everyone had it, I would not expect a lot of sales. It is selling great, so there are plenty people who do not have it yet. I doubt they all need a replacement copy...

MM and DMG are only core for the DM. Pretty sure there are more PHB sold than the other two.
This makes no sense. The fact that everyone has bought it means that it has high sales. That, plus new players coming into the game--they would want a copy for themselves.

Unless you have data that shows there's been a strange surge in sales recently?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases