• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E It takes too long to say "Combat Superiority"

slobo777

First Post
Surely during the game, you won't say "Combat Superiority" any more than you'd say "Spontaneous Casting".

What (a taciturn) fighter player might say:

"Deadly Strike" <rolls dice>
"Parry" <rolls die>
"Protect" <rolls die>
"Knock Down" <marks use of die>
etc, etc

. . . the first one is a bit comedy, but most of the rest are quick, simple, descriptive and unique enough in context of a combat action that its hard to mis-communicate.

thewok

First Post
I'm just waiting for the first person to start talking about his fighter's ED in a post on the WotC forums. Something like: "Help! My Fighter seems so impotent. Even with his ED, I just can't seem to pound anything! When the rogue can sneak up on someone from behind, he's so much better than I am! I'm supposed to be the best, but the orcs just seem to be laughing at me!"

Then the first reply would be something like: "It's not hard."

And the hilarity would go on for pages.

Li Shenron

Legend
By the way... if Combat Superiority is based on using Expertise Dice, why do we need two names?

Isn't Expertise (shorter) or Combat Expertise (clearer) enough for the whole thing?

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Don't really have an opinion on 'Combat Superiority'... but I will say I'm not a fan of the term 'Deadly Strike'. Especially when it sits next to 'Parry'. Take off the deadly part, and just make the two uses of expertise dice 'Strike' and 'Parry'.

That is my naming convention whine of the day. ;)

I completely agree. This makes a great deal of sense. :)

Frostmarrow

First Post
In 2nd edition Combat and Tactics Heroic Fray was introduced as a concept. It was a rule that allowed fighters to attack low hitdice critters up to their level times per round. I always liked the ring of Heroic Fray and wouldn't mind hearing it more often. It's something about these French words harkening back to medieval times that strikes a cord within me. It even works with dice.
-Fray Dice.

Remove ads