• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item of past lives

Corbert

Explorer
I'm planning on using this to introduce gestalt to my players in my main game, and I'm not sure if it should be an artifact, a spell effect, an emmanation from a newly discovered underdark metal or what. If its an artifact that places it out of the hands of NPCs, unless I gimmick it so the PCs can use it somehow, but not take it or prevent access to it. If its an effect from a spell, should it be permanant or have a duration? The underdark metal/gem/sludge/whatever would work best I suppose, but should it be fairly rare or just uncommon so I can introduce gestalt NPCs? Pricing? Any help would be appreaciated :) .

Item of past lives

When touched this item allows the character to remember one past self totally, at a point of development equal to the point the character is currently. In game terms, the DM or player chooses a second class and becomes a gestalt character.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Such an item would be very very valuable (definitley artifact level) for any past life of more than a few levels. Very cool idea though. Should probably make it an artifact that is inside of some ancient temple of something or other. The artifact itself is a pillar or some sort of fixed object in the temples center. Alternatively it could be a pool of water (or some such) that you drink of causing you to remember, the pool could be on a demiplane or in some god's home or maybe in an ancient forest or a temple of some sort.

Careful though gestalting characters can be powerful.

Corbert

Explorer
Aust Diamondew said:
Careful though gestalting characters can be powerful.

Yeah I know, I'm running a test game with two players and it seems to be doing fine. Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I'll go with the artifact idea though, I want NPCs to have access to this also so I can keep things balanced. Of course, I could just lower the CR of any non-gestalt NPCs the group runs into :] .

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads