D&D 5E It's Official! Most of my encounters are "Deadly" (now updated with info through the end of 2022!)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
As others have stated... it all really depends on soooo many other factors that, to me, the CR system (since it was created in 3e?) is mostly useless.

I basically have only used it after the fact for this experiment. Otherwise, I just eyeball it and so far it has been fine and fun!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Update Time!

The PCs wrapped up a sidetrek and other related encounters only tangentially connected to the previous adventure:

Encounter #Monsters# of (N)PCs/LevelCRsDifficulty
52Knight (1), Guards (5)4/63, 1/8Easy
53Skeletons (16), Ogre Zombie4/61/4, 2Hard
54Trolls (2)4/65Hard
55Knight (1), Guards (5), Troll, Giant Two-Headed Troll4/63, 1/8, 5, 6Deadly

Despite being technically "easy," encounter 52 was made sufficiently difficult that the PCs cast some obscuring spells (darkness, fog cloud) and fled, because the guards had missile weapons and got the drop on the PCs from above and with sufficient cover and distance, to make taking them out nearly impossible - esp. since the party has no means to fly or teleport (well, ranger/sorcerer can misty step but then she'd be up there by herself). Despite, being against 17 foes, encounter #53 did not take too long (about 6 rounds?) and in this case the PCs saw the troop of undead coming up the road and prepped an ambush which helped.

The PCs (both players and characters) did not know about troll regeneration, so that fight was interesting as they figured it out once one of the trolls threw caution to the wind to reach the gnome bard/wizard who fire bolted him. One of these two trolls managed to get away, ducking into a dark cave the PCs did not want to follow him into for fear of more trolls in there.

Eventually for encounter 55 (which took 15 rounds), the PCs had to face that knight and his men again at the same time as a fully healed returned troll and the giant-two-headed troll (basically an ettin with troll traits), while also trying to defend a defenseless civilian, which complicated the fight. I also used a bunch of DIY terrain to create a tiered and vertical battle site that made it very interesting. In the end, they destroyed both trolls, killed all the guards (or they were killed by a troll), and took the knight prisoner. Oh they took a short rest both after the undead fight and after the first troll fight.

For those who are curious, encounter 52 and 53 happened in the same session, and 54 and 55 were the session after that. All this activity happened within a 10 hour period where the PCs were unable to get a long rest.

Do with this info, what you will - and I am happy to answer questions - oh and below are the set-ups for where encounters 54 and 55 took place.

One last thing: There was another session after this one with the big fight, but there was no combat in it.

251879813_967251570536966_7543556959492211359_n.jpg
252682363_292208232753652_1648771572922203742_n.jpg

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'll say, the Easy/Medium/Hard/Deadly system is fairly accurate for low levels. It's when you hit level 8 that all of your encounters are going to start skewing to Deadly, and they won't really be incredibly challenging for the PCs.

Official 5E modules support this too; the high-level adventures in Candlekeep Mysteries mostly contain Deadly encounters.

Zardnaar

Legend
We need a context to evaluate this - can you group by between long rests? Deadly is assuming it's one of a series - if it's the only battle during a day it's far from that. Heck, even if it's just an early battle surrounded by easy ones. On the other hand, four deadly battles in a row is more meaningful.

Also, I do notice that the DMG calculations tends to put too much focus on multiple opponents, especially weak ones with a boss, that artificially shows harder than it is.

I kind of go with boss fight 4 CRs higher than party, one Mook per pc-1 Mook.

Maybe not at low levels though by lvl 7 you can go up to +7 CR.

Bolares

Hero
Update Time!

The PCs wrapped up a sidetrek and other related encounters only tangentially connected to the previous adventure:

Encounter #Monsters# of (N)PCs/LevelCRsDifficulty
52Knight (1), Guards (5)4/63, 1/8Easy
53Skeletons (16), Ogre Zombie4/61/4, 2Hard
54Trolls (2)4/65Hard
55Knight (1), Guards (5), Troll, Giant Two-Headed Troll4/63, 1/8, 5, 6Deadly

Despite being technically "easy," encounter 52 was made sufficiently difficult that the PCs cast some obscuring spells (darkness, fog cloud) and fled, because the guards had missile weapons and got the drop on the PCs from above and with sufficient cover and distance, to make taking them out nearly impossible - esp. since the party has no means to fly or teleport (well, ranger/sorcerer can misty step but then she'd be up there by herself). Despite, being against 17 foes, encounter #53 did not take too long (about 6 rounds?) and in this case the PCs saw the troop of undead coming up the road and prepped an ambush which helped.

The PCs (both players and characters) did not know about troll regeneration, so that fight was interesting as they figured it out once one of the trolls threw caution to the wind to reach the gnome bard/wizard who fire bolted him. One of these two trolls managed to get away, ducking into a dark cave the PCs did not want to follow him into for fear of more trolls in there.

Eventually for encounter 55 (which took 15 rounds), the PCs had to face that knight and his men again at the same time as a fully healed returned troll and the giant-two-headed troll (basically an ettin with troll traits), while also trying to defend a defenseless civilian, which complicated the fight. I also used a bunch of DIY terrain to create a tiered and vertical battle site that made it very interesting. In the end, they destroyed both trolls, killed all the guards (or they were killed by a troll), and took the knight prisoner. Oh they took a short rest both after the undead fight and after the first troll fight.

For those who are curious, encounter 52 and 53 happened in the same session, and 54 and 55 were the session after that. All this activity happened within a 10 hour period where the PCs were unable to get a long rest.

Do with this info, what you will - and I am happy to answer questions - oh and below are the set-ups for where encounters 54 and 55 took place.

One last thing: There was another session after this one with the big fight, but there was no combat in it.

View attachment 148260View attachment 148261
Hey, cool terrain! Good mix of modularity and immersion.

Stalker0

Legend
You know, I have been considering starting a You Tube channel with the name of my zine "HOW I RUN IT." But "Most of My Encounters are 'Deadly'" would make a great category for videos about encounter design.
I'll say just off the cuff "Most of my Encounters are Deadly" is a lot more catchy to me than "How I run it"

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'll say just off the cuff "Most of my Encounters are Deadly" is a lot more catchy to me than "How I run it"
Maybe. But more importantly, I think it'd give the wrong impression, as opposed to "How I Run It" which is punchier and has the tagline "I can't tell you how to run your game, but I can tell you how I run mine."

Remove ads