• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E It's official, WOTC hates Rangers (Tasha's version of Favored Foe is GARBAGE)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Part of me thinks they should have gone with different builds like tank, dps, or control with a modifier for creature type. I guess that's what the elemental beasts are somewhat trying to rectify.

For hit points, I think they should have gained extra hit points and a commensurate number of hit dice which would allow constitution bonuses (and, I guess, penalties) to be applied. It would also provide them with the ability to heal up during short rests.

They really should have taken a hint from 4e and had multiple templates for your beast based on the 4e monster roles.

Or if they wanted to save page space, just let you take a specialty training for your companion. If pokemon trainers can do it...
I mean that's the difference between rangers and druids. Rangers are humanoids and are willing to use methods unnatural to get it done.

BRB feeding my bear a diet of HP UP and Protein for +2 HP per ranger level and +2 to attack rolls.

Xeviat

Hero
We were in the middle of Chult when the player joined. They thought the idea of a buddy velociraptor was fun and thematic. I agreed , but the buddy raptor doesn't do anything in combat unless the ranger himself stands around doing nothing.

At level 5, the ranger can give up one of their attacks to direct their pet to attack. So it isn't doing nothing, they're working in tandum.

Horwath

Legend
At level 5, the ranger can give up one of their attacks to direct their pet to attack. So it isn't doing nothing, they're working in tandum.
it should be Bonus action to direct the beast and at 5th level option of one attack from Extra attack or Bonus action.

Chaosmancer

Legend

I think that it is fairly obvious that they were talking about a character who was level 3 or 4, and sure, you can say "in two levels you get to use both" but that doesn't help the player in the moment feel like they are doing anything.

Xeviat

Hero
I think that it is fairly obvious that they were talking about a character who was level 3 or 4, and sure, you can say "in two levels you get to use both" but that doesn't help the player in the moment feel like they are doing anything.

I could have sworn the poster said "level 6".

Remove ads