D&D 5E It's official, WOTC hates Rangers (Tasha's version of Favored Foe is GARBAGE)

It's not. But at the time of writing there was a crock-load of paranoia about "action economy".

That you can now have a sidekick for free shows that WotC have now realised action economy isn't a big deal.
Will there be rules for animal sidekicks in Tasha's? If there are you could just give the ranger one of those and be done with it.

Chaosmancer

Legend
There are rules for sidekicks, and those sidekicks can be animals.

But, if you plan on using them, be careful. They have toned them down I would imagine from the original, rules but a 5th level "Warrior" from the UA would have Danger Sense, Improved Critical, Extra Attack, Second Wind an ASI, and likely around 40 hp.

They are basically NPC statblock classes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There are rules for sidekicks, and those sidekicks can be animals.

But, if you plan on using them, be careful. They have toned them down I would imagine from the original, rules but a 5th level "Warrior" from the UA would have Danger Sense, Improved Critical, Extra Attack, Second Wind an ASI, and likely around 40 hp.

They are basically NPC statblock classes.
Yeah I really think the best Beastmaster solution is just to use the revised ranger beastmaster, ported into the phb ranger class. Make the level 5 thing a simple “you can either take a second attack or command your beast to take an extra attack when you take the attack action” and you’re good to go.

oh, and use either the Beast of XYZ critters, or build a variant that is similar but with extra HP instead of a charge attack.

Last edited:

Asisreo

Patron Badass
So why is 'free HP' of the beast companion an issue, but the shitton of 'free HP' the druids can generate by wildshaping is not? At least the ranger's own HP constantly remains targetable.
A companion isn't just free HP. It's also a new potential target for effects that do more than damage.

For example, if a Druid was fighting a Purple Worm in Wildshape and got hit with a Bite Attack (which is likely due to the low AC's of even higher CR beasts) and they fail the dex save (which is also likely), its the Druid that has been swallowed. Now the Druid is restrained, blinded, and taking DoT damage. A whole combatant is in danger now. If it was the Ranger's animal companion, it would be a loss but nowhere near as equivalent as the Druid.

Moon druids have always been good HP sponges but once you introduce monsters in your games that do more than just damage, they're surprisingly susceptible to even the most basic hazards.

Xeviat

Hero
“Mountain”? Come on, it’s not that much HP, and it’s hardly “free”.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it in play, but I'm terrified of a 20th level moon druid entering their mammoth form as a bonus action every round or so.

I've only seen them in lower level games. A moon druid who exclusively used a tiger form. I only knocked her out of it once, in like the final fight of the campaign. When was pretty beefy at 2nd through 4th levels.

Remove ads