D&D 5E It's official, WOTC hates Rangers (Tasha's version of Favored Foe is GARBAGE)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it in play, but I'm terrified of a 20th level moon druid entering their mammoth form as a bonus action every round or so.
On the first pass I really badly misread this sentence: I somehow skipped over the word 'form'...

You are giving up an attack to get an attack....which depending on your beast might be an up/down/sidegrade trade...or giving up a bonus action to get it to move around. The beast doesn't do anything by itself other than stand there unless you fuel it with your own actions. The fact you have a second living-breathing companion in the battle isn't granting you any extra actions...just more options to use the actions you are already getting.

The part that feels the most off is that if you purchase a warhorse or an attack dog it WILL do things using its own actions (as per its training) in a way that's superior to a beastmasters beast, only it just cost some gold instead your subclass rules slots.
Then use the bonus action (or an attack) to order the pet and let the pet act on that last command as long as you don't give it an other command. We did this at the onset of 5th edition after 3 or 4 playtest battles. We have done this ever since (save for the attack part, we always used the bonus action to command, but sacrificing an attack works out fine. It adds an option.). It does not add an incredible amount of damage to the beastmaster and it does make things more on par with "trained" purchased mount/creatures.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it in play, but I'm terrified of a 20th level moon druid entering their mammoth form as a bonus action every round or so.

I've only seen them in lower level games. A moon druid who exclusively used a tiger form. I only knocked her out of it once, in like the final fight of the campaign. When was pretty beefy at 2nd through 4th levels.
So, 20th level should be wild and unpredictable in terms of balance.

As well, even at lower levels, that tiger isn’t casting spells.

DovahFang

Villager
Well, the Tasha's preview is out, and the Ranger got utterly shafted, namely in its Favored Foe feature.

The exact text (from this source):

So 1d4 damage. On only one hit per round. Requires your concentration even though it's not a spell. And you can only use it proficiency bonus times per day.

This is literally a dollar-store version of Hunter's Mark.

What was WOTC thinking?

EDIT: Oh, and also Tasha's does nothing about the Ranger's Lv. 10, 14 and 18 features which still all really suck.
Actually Favored Foe says it “lasts for a minute or until you lose concentration on it”. Key word there is “or”. What it does NOT say is that it “lasts for a minute while you are concentrating on it”. So this class feature should have no problem stacking with spells that require concentration if you don’t plan using it for more than 10 rounds of combat.

DovahFang

Villager
Well, the Tasha's preview is out, and the Ranger got utterly shafted, namely in its Favored Foe feature.

The exact text (from this source):

So 1d4 damage. On only one hit per round. Requires your concentration even though it's not a spell. And you can only use it proficiency bonus times per day.

This is literally a dollar-store version of Hunter's Mark.

What was WOTC thinking?

EDIT: Oh, and also Tasha's does nothing about the Ranger's Lv. 10, 14 and 18 features which still all really suck.
Actually Favored Foe says it “lasts for a minute or until you lose concentration on it”. Key word there is “or”. What it does NOT say is that it “lasts for a minute while you are concentrating on it”. So this class feature should have no problem stacking with spells that require concentration if you don’t plan using it for more than 10 rounds of combat.

Celtic-Knight

Villager
Yeah, no staying right here. Sorry, not sorry, if that pees in your cornflakes.
Yeah but you clearly want a different experience that DnD 5e does not provide, you should check out other systems like Wolves of God or Adventures in Middle Earth 'cus you are never going to get the class that supports the game you want to play.

Remove ads