D&D 5E It's official, WOTC hates Rangers (Tasha's version of Favored Foe is GARBAGE)

Actually Favored Foe says it “lasts for a minute or until you lose concentration on it”. Key word there is “or”. What it does NOT say is that it “lasts for a minute while you are concentrating on it”. So this class feature should have no problem stacking with spells that require concentration if you don’t plan using it for more than 10 rounds of combat.
In this case, the "or" refers to whichever happens fist. Loosing concentration (i.e. casting a concentration spell) ends Favored Foe.

this is correct reading.

But it would be better if it would last until next long rest and give advantage on Perception and Survival against the target.
The question is: what if your concentration spell was already in place?

Relevant quote for when you lose concentration:
"Casting another spell that requires concentration. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once."

So while it states that you lose concentration if you cast another spell, invoking the favoured foe ability is not casting a spell. It doesn´t even require an action to be used. My reading is that you can invoke it safely, but it won´t have an effect because you need to chose on which spell/ability you concentrate on.

BrassDragon

Adventurer
Supporter
this is correct reading.

But it would be better if it would last until next long rest and give advantage on Perception and Survival against the target.

Can a power gamer tell me why this power is so underwhelming as written? Is there some unbalanced combo I'm not aware of? Why not let Rangers track/attack a limited category of beings with accuracy and advantage? Seems perfectly in line with with the fantasy of the archetype.

Eubani

Legend
The question is: what if your concentration spell was already in place?

Relevant quote for when you lose concentration:
"Casting another spell that requires concentration. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once."

So while it states that you lose concentration if you cast another spell, invoking the favoured foe ability is not casting a spell. It doesn´t even require an action to be used. My reading is that you can invoke it safely, but it won´t have an effect because you need to chose on which spell/ability you concentrate on.
The ability says "As if you were concentrating on a spell". So it does not matter that it is not a spell as the ability says to treat it as if it is a concentration spell. When you use an ability you need to read the whole ability, not just a portion of the mechanic that makes it differ from the whole mechanic. So in whole the mechanic is telling you to treat the ability as a concentration spell for the purpose of concentration.

Last edited:

Necrozius

Explorer
Yeah but you clearly want a different experience that DnD 5e does not provide, you should check out other systems like Wolves of God or Adventures in Middle Earth 'cus you are never going to get the class that supports the game you want to play.
Seconding this. The Ranger from Adventures in Middle Earth is great. Perhaps not as strong as "generic magical ranger trope from high fantasy" as the regular Ranger class, but it works really well without magic.

In fact, all of the classes in that game are great alternatives, honestly, if one prefers a more "low magic" campaign style.

The ability says "As if you were concentrating on a spell". So it does not matter that it is not a spell as the ability says to treat it as if it is a concentration spell. When you use an ability you need to read the whole ability, not just a portion of the mechanic that makes it differ from the whole mechanic. So in whole the mechanic is telling you to treat the ability as a concentration spell for the purpose of concentration.
I do. The problem is, that you don´t actually cast it. But on the other hand, it does not matteras explained above. Maybe for smite spells if the effect ends after the hit anyway.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yeah but you clearly want a different experience that DnD 5e does not provide, you should check out other systems like Wolves of God or Adventures in Middle Earth 'cus you are never going to get the class that supports the game you want to play.
Do I? I don't think so. 5e does fine at providing the experience I want out of it. I've got all the tools I need to make a wilderness trek interesting even in the face of a Ranger's inability to get lost in his favored terrain and all that.
But hey, thanks for telling me what I want...

Remove ads