It's the rise and fall....

James McMurray

First Post
Let's say you're a speed 5 human making a running jump. You move 2 squares, roll a jump check, and get a 20. That's enough for a 20' jump, but you can't jump that far because you'll run out of movement and fall. If you have a move action left, you can end your first move in midair, then take the second move action to complete the jump. You'll still have 4 squares of movement left for the move action.

drquestion

Explorer
I think the main point of the rule is that if I can move, say, 60 ft. with a double move, and I make a jump check that let me jump 65 feet, I can't carry that extra 5 feet of movement over into the next round.

This makes my speed an effective limit on the distance I can jump and also prevents situations where I'm in midair at the end of my turn. It also prevents me from getting extra movement by jumping (if I can get a jump check that lets me jump more squares than I have speed left).

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Count the number of squares you jump as part of your move. If you run out of movement, you fall. You can end your first move in midair if you double move

We can choose to take any action in any order.

So, what happens if I use my move action to jump, see that there's another enemy approaching, e decide to not use another move action?

I fall from midair, abruptly?
I don't think you ever had the choice. While the rest of the entry for double move did seem to not care when the two moves were declared, the "one speed entry calls it out that one has to declare a double move ahead of time.

Double move said:
One Speed: When you double move, add the speeds of the two move actions together and then move.

James McMurray

First Post
The Jump rules seem to contradict that, as they say you can end your first move in midair if you double move. If double moving was a single action, you couldn't end half of it like that.

frankthedm

First Post
The Jump rules seem to contradict that, as they say you can end your first move in midair if you double move. If double moving was a single action, you couldn't end half of it like that.
It is written in a similar way in regards to stopping ones movement in an allies space in the double move section, You can 'end' the first move illegally because you are not stopping.

Occupied Squares: When you double move, your first move action can end in an ally’s space, because you’re not stopping. Your second move action can’t end in an ally’s space, as normal.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Man, this is confusing... anyway, here's how I intend to handle such things. Not sure if it's RAW, but it seems like the simplest and most logical approach.

When you jump, you first declare where it is that you intend to jump to. (You can also declare that you're simply going to jump as far as you can in a given direction.)

When you declare your target, it must be one that you could reach with either a single or a double move. You then spend a single or a double move action, as appropriate, and make your Jump check. If the Jump check is enough to get you to the target square, you land there. If not, you go as far as you can, then fall.

If something interrupts your single or double move action and limits your movement so that you can no longer reach the target (e.g., an enemy fighter whacking you on the way past), you go as far as you can, then fall.

You cannot, in midair, decide to abort your jump and fall. Having committed to the jump, you must keep moving toward your destination. Contrary to popular belief, this is not a video game. :)

Delgaddo

First Post
Man, this is confusing... anyway, here's how I intend to handle such things. Not sure if it's RAW, but it seems like the simplest and most logical approach.

When you jump, you first declare where it is that you intend to jump to. (You can also declare that you're simply going to jump as far as you can in a given direction.)

When you declare your target, it must be one that you could reach with either a single or a double move. You then spend a single or a double move action, as appropriate, and make your Jump check. If the Jump check is enough to get you to the target square, you land there. If not, you go as far as you can, then fall.

If something interrupts your single or double move action and limits your movement so that you can no longer reach the target (e.g., an enemy fighter whacking you on the way past), you go as far as you can, then fall.

You cannot, in midair, decide to abort your jump and fall. Having committed to the jump, you must keep moving toward your destination. Contrary to popular belief, this is not a video game. :)

Actually I think this is exactly the way the rules are written.

The part that seems to muddy the water for the OP is the you can end your first move in midair. This isn't meant literally.

I would have to imaging what they are trying to say albeit poorly is that you don't need to clear the entire jump with a single move action - you can use a double move to jump twice as far as you would otherwise. i.e. if the first move would have left you in midair over the jump that's O.k.

Remove ads