• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Its time to exempt (sub)race from the PHB +1 rule!

Should AL Exempt Races from PHB +1 rule of AL?

• Exempt Races from PHB +1 rule of AL

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Don't Exempt Races from PHB +1 rule of AL

Votes: 55 70.5%

gyor

Legend
We now have situation where Aasimar can't be Divine Souls or Celestial Warlocks, Shadar Kai can't be Shadow Magic Sorcerers or Hexblades, Water Genasi, Tritons, Lizardfolk, Sea Elves and Half Sea Elves can't become Storm Herald Barbarians of the Sea, and Tabaxi can't become Barbarians of the Tiger spirit, Hobgoblins can't become Warmages, ect... even the lore behind these races and these subclasses fight like hand in glove, peanut butter and jelly.

This is absurd. Look some people want to keep the PHB +1 rule, but met me half way and compromise, seperate races from that the way they have Gods, Backgrounds, Monsters (Summonable and Companions). This would not unbalanced the game, no race has abilities that are gake breaking in the slightest, nor with the potential to do so in combination with any subclass.

Lets make things make sense.

jasper

Rotten DM
You can home brew which eliminates the PHB +1. In AL you can not. And last time it was brought, the official answer was no and we not even thinking about. The only to do now is for you and like minded people is to buy WOTC and change the rules.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Unless I am mistaken there isn't a PHB +1 rule outside of AL. It's not in any book!

Outside of AL, PHB+1 is a house rule.

As such modify away---races are not restricted.

JMCampbell82

Explorer
When SCAG came out a bunch of people said make spells the exception because swordmages couldn't have the EE companion spells. Now you're saying make race the exception. The next book someone will probably say make feats the exception, they're smallest piece of "game mechanic" in the game, what harm could it do? Everyone wants something a little bit different. I think that's why they'll keep the rule as is for now.

I'd like them to expand it to a blanket PHB+2 rule for AL and I think they will at some point. But for now, PHB+1 is fine.
Even for my home game, I say players can use any WotC stuff, but only 1 third party option because I don't want to follow too many different things.

I know. I really wanted to power-game my popcorn though.

You want to power-game your popcorn you got to put some chocolate in there. Not M&Ms you want something a little melty like a broken up kitkat, or snowcaps. Takes it to a whole nother level.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
You could go with peanuts and just dip a couple levels of popcorn.

Seems a little MAD to me.

You want to power-game your popcorn you got to put some chocolate in there. Not M&Ms you want something a little melty like a broken up kitkat, or snowcaps. Takes it to a whole nother level.

Popcorn + Chocolate would fit the Snack+1 rule. It would make for extra messy fingers though. Unless I eat it with chopsticks, like I do with cheetos.

Remove ads