IVV1: The Forgotten Map [orsal judging]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Yeah, possum, sure iv'e been through worse...but not willingly walkibng into the manure. he follows soon after putting up a good game face, following possum's lead.

sense motive : +2

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Scrate takes a hold of his raven quill, and pulls out a fresh paper.

"The only 'muscle' I sent involved my associate merely informing you of our services on the docks. If you refer to the Spungelli Brothers, then they are not mine. They have nothing to offer me, and I have nothing to offer them. However, when rumors of a treasure map begin to circulate, people can get greedy."

Placing quill to paper, he continues.

"Now, regarding the map, there are many who would be interested in purchasing such an item, and I am willing to purchase it from you, translate it, and sell it to the highest bidder. However, if you would prefer to maintain exclusive access to the map, then perhaps you would be willing to pay my fees for translation, while you maintain ownership. My fees are high, but reasonable, and I know we can come to an equitable arrangement."

Scrate looks over the document he has written. It is a contract, with check boxes for the choice of services. The penmanship is impeccable.

Wik

First Post
Possum bites her lip. "And how do we know you don't give us a false translation, and keep a copy to yourself? Your reputation precedes you, Scrate."

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Scrate regards Possum with a squint through his spectacles, crinkling his nose. "No, I should think my reputation does not precede me. I am an honest businessman. Emphasis on honest. People come to me because they know that I can provide them with whatever they may need--an exotic stinkflower for a ritual, the essence of an innocent's cry, a fresh corpse for necromancy--in the strictest confidence, and without fail."

He turns to Karl with a wink, punctuating his argument with, "That way, I can make my fortune as a broker, and never have to run after treasure maps."

Scrate leans back in his seat, fingers twitching in the air like antennae. "As for my fee, such a service typically runs two thousand gold pieces." He lets it sink in a moment. "However... I have a client that requires a special service, one with hazard." He turns to Oskar. "Do not worry, it is not evil, nor for evil purposes--you aren't the first paladin I've done business with."

He huddles in, close to the candle. His fingers seem to move with a will of their own, and an image of a blue striped lizard appears, sparks of lightning coruscating across its form. "This particular client wishes to bind a shocker lizard to his service as a familiar. If you would be willing to capture a living specimen and return it to me, I will have your translation available for you. Some can be found in the coastal wetlands just outside of town. Do we have a deal?"

Remove ads