D&D 5E Jack of All Trades: Works on Dispel Checks?

Stalker0

Legend
Dispel Checks call for an ability check modified by your casting stat. So basically d20+int/wis/or cha.

Jack of all trades provides half your prof bonus on any ability check that does not already include your prof bonus. So it seems to me that bards get a cool side ability and are actually the best dispelers in the game!

Anything I am missing with that?

clearstream

(He, Him)
Dispel Checks call for an ability check modified by your casting stat. So basically d20+int/wis/or cha.

Jack of all trades provides half your prof bonus on any ability check that does not already include your prof bonus. So it seems to me that bards get a cool side ability and are actually the best dispelers in the game!

To recognise a spell's name, level (cast at) and metamagic, as the spell is being cast, I use Arcana DC 12 + slot level for arcane spells, and Religion DC 12 + slot level for divine spells.

As well as rewarding players who invest in those skills, a strong reason for creating hidden information this way is that at higher levels Counterspell-everything becomes over-rewarded with perfect information.

A Bard with Expertise Arcana and Religion would be the greatest dispeller in the game!

tardigrade

Explorer
The Counterspell utility depends how you have spell identification work; if it's based on the character's class spell list that nerfs it a bit (there was a discussion of this on the board earlier in the week, I think). And technically I think Rogue (Swashbuckler) probably beats it on initiative. But yes, it's a nice little perk. :)

After 10th level, that spot is probably taken over by Abjurer wizards. They add their full proficiency bonus.

I had to add a few house rules on counterspell:
1. No caster may cast 2 spells with levels in a single turn. (there are weird interactions with counterspelling counterspells and bonus action spells. I asked for a ruling on sage advice but I got a lazy reply so; F IT HOUSE RULE)
2. When a caster begins casting they announce "I begin casting a spell" then put a scrap of paper face down with the spell being cast written on it (the spell cards work great for this). At this point there is an opportunity to announce reactions for counter magic. After counters are announced (or not) the spell being cast is revealed and resolved (or countered).
These rules make counter magic much more risky; "is that a 6th level powerhouse bomb about to be unleashed? Or is it just a magic missile?"
I also think it creates a more true "reaction moment" in the chaos of combat. Being able to recognize a specific spell while is is being cast, especially if it is of a completely different type of magic, is ridiculous in my opinion. I think it should be more of a; "Butt Stuff! The caster is doing a cast thing! Counterspell!" As opposed to; "hmmm a level 4 fireball you say, we have the hit points for that... I'll allow it."

Remove ads