jasper

Rotten DM
Dragonlance Session 17

Chapter 6 Console the Dragon

Day 101 Breakfast to Day 101 Dusk

Fluergreen 21 Only

PC Killed 3 Monsters Killed 235 Villains Captured 2 Villains Escaped 11

Start Time 6:01 End Time 10:36

Promote to Level 10. Take 10 Downtime days. 2,500 GP plus what you collected.

Magic Items. Dragonlance in Pike or Lance. One each. Spell Scroll of Gentle Repose * 2. Periapt of Proof Against Poison. Bag of Holding with Tiamat cross stitch on the outside. Ioun Stone of Insight.

I had a strong group of five Grif Sheepsbane Swarmkeeper 5 Phantom Rogue 4 Human. Ililar Shivrotsk Order Cleric of 9 Dwarf-elf. Arthena Order of Vengeance Paladin 8 Silvanesti Elf with Yrrin Lion mount. Paks Sheepsbane Eldritch Knight 9 Human Squire to Arthena. Professor Scribe Wizard 9 Orc.

The temple of Paladine appears to floating in water. A moat of land nearly encircles it and a small bridge cross the second canal of water. The group waits as a patrol passes by. The patrol is looking for imposters in army uniform with a huge tuxedo cat. Crossing the bridge Ililar is slightly upset as the bridge is really a fallen statue to Paladine.

Paks, “Nice trees. Such nice purple leaves. And strange fruit. Um. Dragon Army…” A tree limb grabs her by the throat. “Bad trees. Chocking trees. Help,” she whispers. A treant has lifted her to eye level, “More fertilizer for my garden. Any last words before I break your neck bones?”

Paks, “Me. Good. Paladin. Um Paladine friend. Um. Ililar. Help.” Ililar flashes his holy symbol. “Allow me to introduce myself. I am Duskwalker head gardener to Onyari. This decade I am trying to sprue up the lands around the temple. These poor saps though they could take my wood for fires. Friends of Paladine are allow to pass freely. Mind the water it is only three feet deep, but it is still muddy. Oh, on your next visit can you pick me up a small bag of top soil. Say 150 metric tons?”

The group sighs as Paks is dropped to the ground. The temple is only sixty feet away but it is surrounded by water. The left side has collapse in rubble with only the top parts of that wall still being held together by sheer luck. A two-foot strip of land about six inches above the water protects the front side.

Arthena, “Yrrin doesn’t want to get his feet wet. And…” The Professor cast wall of force across the water to the front door. Paks brings up back as she was mentioning sea sickness. As she gets halfway across a water elemental attacks her. Professor knocks the doors, “Quick get inside it will be dry and we….”

Arthena, “And we will still get our feet wet. In fact, the only thing that is above water is the altar. Which has a BRAND NEW DRAGONLANCE. CHARGE!” Her Lion looks at her and leaps into the middle of chapel splashing water everywhere. A larger elemental rises from the water to stop her. The Sheepsbane family fight the small elemental while the leaders fight the larger. The battle gets wet and wild.

Grif, “Hey we can have wet t-shirt contest. In fact, we already have a wet.” The table looks at Grif. “Um I mean sharpshooter on the small one.”

Professor, “I will get it. Misty step. A drill I son rush. I grab the lance.”

DM, “Give me a moment.” Checks the notes. Punches in a name to Beyond. “Your hand passes through the lance. Remember in Chapter 4 Arthena took the stub of lance?” Mumble “Give, “please put these things in your notes too.”

Both elementals fall and Paks zig zags pass Arthena. Arthena tells Yrrin pounces toward the lance and disappears.

DM CHACKLES. “Right into a pit. HA. HA. HA.”

As the lion dog paddles up to the surface, Arthena gasps for air. “GUESS WHO?” Her eyes are covered by two bandage wrapped hands; she looks over her shoulder to a mummy who is riding side saddle behind her. Three other mummies arise from the water. “No Hitchhikers Allowed. Misty Step!” A faint splash is heard as the mummy belly flops into the water. The mummies move toward her as she pulls the stub of Sarlamir’s lance from her saddle bags and lays on the altar. The lance rises. Centuries of rust fall off. The lance glows and reforms into a new dragon lance.” The mummies salute and are dust into the wind.

“Welcome champions. The Last dude was unworthy. His failure was a step along the path to this world’s destruction. But this is a new age. And needs a new hope. Use these weapons to defend the destiny mortals have chosen. Defeat the SHADOW OF THE DRAGON QUEEN with the light of these most sacred weapons. With the blessing of the gods, reclaim the dragon lances. In mount and unmounted skins.” The group each take a lance. They spend the next two hours exploring the chapel and attuning the weapon. The consider their next move.

Around noon they move out toward the Threshold of the Heavens. As they get six blocks from the Threshold, the fargab breaks the silence. “Attention all units. Attention all units. Retreat. Retreat. Retreat. Fall back to checkpoint bravo. Break. Break. Break. George is the professor in charge of the mixed unit. Then who. Attention Lt. Ililar Attention Arthena. New orders. New orders. Attack and kill Lord Soth at the temple of Takhisis. Repeat. Attack and kill Lord Soth at the temple of Takhisis. Do not attack the threshold of heavens. HQ out.”

The group debate the orders and decide to follow them. As they get six blocks from the temple, Lord Soth appears from the back flying a nightmare well out of bow and spell range. The nightmare flies toward the threshold and Lord Soth descents toward it. The group debates over attack the temple and ambushing Lord Soth when he returns, or assassinate him at the Threshold. They choose assassinate him. Grif gripes about back tracking.

As they get six blocks from the Threshold, Professor, “We have one large problem. That big cat. The patrols are looking for the lion.”

Arthena, “No problem we slay any who get before us.”

Paks, “Um boss. Lord Soth will be guarded with lots of people um draconians. Any alerts and he will escape. And for fracking sake. YOU ARE RIDING A HUGE FREAKY LION IN DOWNTOWN ENEMY HIDE OUT. YOU Think the enemies are not going to start noticing. YOU THINK THE DICE ARE not going to notice. You think the DM is not going to plan on that. OOPS. Sorry I don’t know what came over me. Let the Professor polymorph your mount into a regular looking war horse.”

Arthena, “But I just cut racing stripes in his fur. Oh, very well.”

Arriving at the location, a small problem exists. The Threshold is floating about two hundred feet above ground level. Some floating step stones could be used as steps but they have to get pass the guards. Four Sivak are flying CAP around the base of the tower, and a small patrol are watching the steps. The Professor bluffs his way pass. The guards start laughing at the group as they try to hop scotch up to the tower. In the end both the horse and Grif are pulled up with ropes.

The group enters the ground floor and go directly to the second floor. The Professor is nearly zapped by a loose electrical field but uses his rob of absorption to counter it. In the next room huge capacitors spark, next to the inside wall is a console which only Grif is not interested.

Paks, “Hey I going to say yes attack target large number six.” She presses a button. A gnome death cricket attacks Arthena. It takes a few rounds to defeated and some spells. They climb up to next level to find the first room is a map room. Only problem is the map is from before the fall. Entering the next room, the console sparks which activates four flameskulls which only get off one fireball before being destroyed. Paks has be wondering why the sound is muted in each room but does not mention it to others.

Enter the next room Paks trips over the Professor’s big foot, which pulls the two aurak draconians out their study of a hologram map. The group attacks and one of their opponents disappears. While nearly getting the upper hand, the second flees upstairs. The Professor runs behind him and magic missile him to death.

Lohezet, “Welcome Probie. I see you are still wearing your Probate Red Robes. I can change that. Come to the black robe society we have cookies.” He has heard the combat below. “You could do me a solid and take out the dragon in the camber above.” He tries to rack some platinum into a bag of holding but misses. He continues to shove his manuals into the sack. “Now that was not nice. Counter spelling my dimension. Go talk with the dragon. Believe me it will be interesting.”

Paks has moved up the stair well. “Dude. Make a hole. Are you okay? I can’t see the villain. Move your freaking ass. Hey you are bleeding. Cure wounds on his buttocks DM.” As this distracts the orc, the black robe dimension doors out of the tower.

The rest of group enters the scrying room. Four consoles are flashing various colors. A huge hologram of the current city floats in the center of the room. They stay near the stairwell from level three and can hear the professor talking with someone. He blocks the stair well.

Belephaion in his young blue dragon form, “welcome. I hope you took care the black robes. My companions will go down stairs to check it out.” Two bozak move pass the Professor and he slightly shifts out the way. The dragon shifts into human form. Belephaion, “I am afraid you and your goody good friends are kind of late.” He dusts off the only chair in the room and sits. “Welcome to this fully functional flying city!”

Arthena slams her lance into one of the consoles. Sparks fly. Paks starts to vomit. The tower shakes and shifts ten degrees to the left. It shifts back to the upright. Belephaion “Stop them your fools.” The two bozak attack the downstairs group. The Aurak draconian starts opening a window.

The Professor chats with the dragon as the group destroy some of the consoles and the minions. The Aurak jumps out the window. The dragon tosses a heavy bag of holding into the Professor’s chest knocking him down. As he tries to regain his feet he is smash to the floor as the lion and knight charge into the room. Belephaion flips her the bird. She rushes to the chair.

Arthena, “I can attune this.” Consoles flash more sparks as Grif keeps attacking one. “Attunement will take three hours thirty minutes and three seconds. Please sit steady and be comfortable.”

Arthena, “I SAID I CAN ATTUNE THIS.” Consoles flash even before Grif can attack again. “Attunement will take three hours twenty-nine minutes and fifty-seven seconds. Please sit steady and be comfortable.” A quick argument between the Professor and Arthena goes down.

Professor, “I can attune this!” “Attunement will take three hours twenty-eight minutes and five seconds. Please sit steady and be comfortable. Warning destruction sequence activated. You have eighteen seconds to get clear.”

Professor, “What?” “Attunement will take three hours twenty-eight minutes and four seconds. Please sit steady and be comfortable. Warning destruction sequence activated. You have seventeen seconds to get clear.”

The group dash for the window but the Professor and Paks don’t make it. “Dimension Door to the street DM.” Paks vomits on his shoes and looks up. She raises his chin. They are underneath the tower. The shadow of the tower grows darker and wider. Professor, “RUN AWAY!”

One big crash later which the production does not have the budget for the dust settles over the sea. Paks, “Why is there a strange eerie hum?” The city rises a hundred feet into the air and breaks apart.

As the red sunset descents into darkness, the temple of Takhisis floats toward the south.

End of session 423.

jasper

Rotten DM
With most of the magic item duplicating the poor dragons in upcoming encounters are going have it rough. Plus I can't believe some of the actions the players took.

jasper

Rotten DM
Dragonlance Session 18

Chapter 7 Burning Down the Gate House

Day 101 Dusk to Day 116 Sunrise

Fluergreen 21 to Holmswelt 9

PC Killed 3 Monsters Killed 256 Villains Captured 2 Villains Escaped 13

Start Time 6:05 End Time 10:50

Take 10 Downtime Days.

I had a strong group of five Grif Sheepsbane Swarmkeeper Ranger 5 Phantom Rogue 5 human. Professor Scribe RED ROBED Wizard 10 Orc. Arthena Oath of Vengeance Paladin 10 Elf. Yrrin Lion Mount. Paks Sheepsbane Eldritch Knight 10 Allen Kitty Familiar.

Paks looks back as she and others retreat over the final bluff. Undead Dragons climb out the hole the citadel left in the city. Dragonnels are dropping off troops into the citadel courtyard.

Arthena, “Take a short rest. Professor get your fly spell ready. We take a meal break and.”

Paks, “Are you out of your freaking mind. One undead dragon yes. Two undead dragons yes. Three undead dragons maybe. Four some will die. Seven! Seven undead dragon you are out of your mind.”

Arthena, “SQUIRE IF YOU WANT TO BE A KNIGHT OF.”

Paks, “Take your shield and shove up your bum sideways. Not even if Cross orders me. Cross. Anyone seen Cross.” Cross is missing from the huddle. No one kept track of him during the escape. The far speaker squawks and they are ordered to fall back to the army’s position.

Cross does not show up for morning formation. With two privates, a hanger on and a knight, the outlook looks bleak. Darrett orders the group to carry orders to the new mayor. It’s a three-day trip to new landing. The army is falling back to Kalaman. The flying citadel changes the equation. It should take a ten day or more for the Red Dragon Army to get to Kalaman.

Making haste to the landing site, they are followed by a purple worm. They awake the next morning to find the worm trying to eat the Tiny Hut. A good brief breakfast fight warms their bones.

Professor, “Out the hut. Out of the hut. I am dropping it is three seconds. Out. Out. Who wants Haste. Or should we dimension door. Or should...” Darkness descends as the worm eats the orc for breakfast.

Arthena, “Less thinking more action. Smite. Smite. Smite. It what makes Paladins get up and fight!” A good smite and the Professor is barf back up. “See Orc don’t agree with Worms. Purple or Green, Sand or Blood,” screams Professor. “Less chatting more spelling Professor.” Yells Arthena. A short rest before breakfast is welcome. Clystran is happy he got to see his new crossbow works. The hike continues. An hour after they sight the ocean, four shadows darken their skies. A copper dragonnel falls entangled in a net nearby. The Red Dragon Army is hunting mounts. Grif runs up and yells in draconic, “No bite. No Bite. I am cutting you free.” The net parts half way letting the dragon spit in one the other dragonnel’s eye. The fight is on. The copper dragonnel tries to fly away but Grif calls out about healing potions. When the fight is over, he is given a sloppy dragon slurp. Clystran waves goodbye to them as they board the launch. (And we totally forgot about the sidekicks, and support NPCs again.)

As they make landing five days later.

Paks, “IT WAS FIVE YEARS. FIVE YEARS OF BARFING!”

As ship arrives at the dock, the sailors of good ship “Rock A Baby” present Paks with a t-shirt “Barf to Left. Barf to Right. Barf is my middle BARF.” As the carry her down to the docks, off the docks, roll her off the stretcher, and rub dry dirt over her. “Thank you. I will have to kill you in the morning.”

Sailor, “We be on the ship.”

Paks, “Curse you and your evil sea sickness. BARF!”

Arriving at the council chamber they met old friends like Marshal Vendri. They met old enemies like Lord Bakaris. And new friends Governor Fuline Thren. The Professor makes Lord Bakaris go pale when he mentions his missing son. He files a report but the council wants more answers which are not available. The Governor gives the group five days of leave. During the leave, Professor passes his test of high sorcery. (Hopefully he will post it here.) The rest train and regear.

Arriving at Trade Gate the first morning back on active duty, they find hot mess. The captain of the watch has closed the gate. He refuses Sgt Paks orders. But his troops change their mind when he is body slammed by Grif and given a kitty sniff by Yrrin. Captain Oklid, “You don’t know these people. You could be letting in spies. It will be on your head if anything happens.” They take over control of the gate.

At noon near the end of shift Grif calls an alert as a dragon is on approach and appears to be about to attack. But the riders are not in dragon armour. In fact, it is Darrett and Clystran riding Copper. Copper gives Griff a big slurp. Clystran found a bag on healing potions an hour after he waved goodbye. A few minutes later he found Copper hiding in a small cave trying to heal up. He and Cooper made friends. He flew to Heart’s Hollow only to be ordered by the mayor to go help Darrett. Clystran did scout out the citadel. Below the courtyard is a cave system. And with as many dragonnels flying around the base, they could steal some and sneak in. The group return to barracks to make plans and get a quick nap.

But their nap is interrupted by the arrival of the enemy. They are just out siege weapon range and digging end. As dusk falls Marshal Vendri tells them to report at midnight, regardless if they have a chance to sleep. About three blocks from the barracks, they see a mutiny in progress. Four privates are stabbing their sergeant. Did I say four privates. Four Sivak Draconians are killing the sergeant. A fireball makes short work of the spies. They fall in their bunks but sleep will not come. Midnight nears and they gear up for their watch.

About two blocks from the barracks, they are approached by a runner. “Sgt Paks. Warrior Gate is abandoned. No guards are on duty. I am reporting to Trader Gate with this information.” He runs on and the group runs on to Warrior Gate. Rounding the corner on the street, the gate is open. A squad of Red Army troops are at the portcullis, they are raising with man power alone. No, the portcullis is being raised by the gate house. Paks and Arthena charge. The Professor flips through his spell book. Grif moves forward.

Stabbing one the knights in the gate house Paks sees Lord Bakaris. “BAKARIS IS HERE. HE IN CHARGE.” The portcullis slowly rises. Professor see red and charges as Grif throw a web spell on the portcullis and Red Army troops. Bolts, spells, and blows fly.

Professor, “You are not leaving the gate house alive Bakaris. Wall of force! Now we are lock in till we die.!”

Grif, “YOU IDIOT. I am on the other side. My spells can’t get through.”

Professor, “Not listening. Too busy killing Bakaris.” He charges into the gatehouse. The portcullis rises. Both Professor and Paks nearly die. They low craw out under the feet of the knights. The orc tosses a fireball over his shoulder and drops the wall of force. He and Paks are ran over by enemy troops who charge Arthena and Grif.

As the last trooper dies, “Hey are you going to put out the fire at the gatehouse? The gate is freaking open. The portcullis is up. The locking wheel is burning. Smooth move exlax. What are you going to do Professor?” screams Grif. Arthena sighs and dashes into the fire and releases the lock.

The fire team shows up and the fire is put out. Our team sleeps next to the closed portcullis.

The drums and sunrise awaken them.

DM NOTE. Take a Long Rest. We will NOT finish next session. But you will level up. So, two copies of your PC one tenth. One eleventh level. I am working on the post credit scene as requested.

End of Session 432

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Cross work schedule change so we down one member. I thought Grif was going to walk from the table when Professor would not drop the Wall of Force. The battle took over an hour.

jasper

Rotten DM
Dragonlance Session 19

Chapter 7 Dragon Flight, Fight, Foe.

Day 116 Sunrise to 10 AM

Holmswelt 9

PC Killed 3 Monsters Killed 292 Villains Captured 2 Villains Escaped 15

Start Time 6:28 End Time 11:35

Story Award Bakaris Bounce. You bounce Jr off the battlefield. He has 2 HP left. He is coming for you. After he spits out the dirt.

Magic Item Portable Hole.

Take 10 Downtime Days. A level. 1,000 GP. Note You will be at level 11 for the rest of the book.

I had a strong group of six. Ililar Shivrotsk Order Cleric 11 half elf half dwarf. Grif Sheepsbane Swarmkeeper Ranger 5 Phantom Rogue 6 human. Professor Scribe RED ROBED Wizard 11 Orc. Arthena Oath of Vengeance Paladin 11 Elf. Yrrin Sun Lion Mount. Paks Sheepsbane Eldritch Knight 11. Allen Kitty Familiar.

The sun rises into our adventurers’ eyes.

Ililar, “Why am I blowing black buggers?”

Arthena, “Because you slept across the street from a burning gatehouse.”

Paks, “Five more minutes’ mom. And kill the drums.”

Professor, “Those are not our drums.” As the group the stumble up to top of wall. The Red Dragon Army is advancing. “Incoming flight. Man the ballista.”

Grif, “But what if they are a woman?” The Sivak draconians are killed before they are able to open a hole in the air cover. Which gives Paks and Ililar a fun time shooting down dragonnels and army officers. The first wave is beating back from Traders Gate. The group finally grab breakfast.

Grif, “What if breakfast grabs us back? Hey I know that dude and wasteland dragonnel. It Slurpee! Hey slurp not the other thing. Hey come back. Why didn’t you land in the city?” A quarter hour later, a messenger arrives. The message reads to report to the air field outside Hunter’s gate and see Clystran. The Professor flies the group to the location.

Professor, “Awful smoky. Where are the dragonnels? Why are five red dragon babies attacking us? Why is the?”

Arthena, “Less questions. More attacking.” The last of the red dragon wyrmlings falls at her feet ten seconds later.

The group is amazed the wasteland dragonnels have purple pinstripes. As they mount, Ililar uses a ritual and burns 5,000 GP. A Planetar arises from the ashes of gold and arrives to lead the flight. The Professor polymorphs Yrrin into a Toucan. The Angel Flight takes off and heads toward the flying citadel. As they cross over the city at six hundred feet, they see smoke arising from some fires. The first wave of enemies is met.

Grif, “You know it would be easier if we removed the pinstripes, and used the engineers’ clothing.”

Paks, “You don’t think the freaky angel in the lead is a tell.” They blow through the enemy. The second wave arrives. With Bakaris Junior in the lead. The Professor spurs his dragon ahead. Meanwhile Red Ruin has knocked off Paks and Arthena from their mounts. As their mounts dive for them, they activate their rings of feather fall. The Professor kills Junior’s mount and starts cussing as Bakaris Junior bounces off the battle field with two hit points of damage. The angel and rest of party take out Red Ruin. The mounts recover the slow falling fliers. The group makes into the underground caverns nap. Clystran will stay behind with the dragons and guard them.

The group enter the cave complex and get promptly lost. Rounding a corner, they discover an undead dragon guarding a door. Once pass they door they climb up the ladder. Arthena is pulled by a cool hand. At the other end of the hand is Leedara.

Leedara, “I been waiting ages for you. I been scouting out the place and have some information. Lord Soth is wandering the ruins but generally stays off the first floor. The Cataclysmic Fire is powering the Citadel. How to blow them out is unknown. But since flames were created by gods, so its stands the power of gods could blow them out. Lord Soth is CR 19 critter. But hidden somewhere is the mirror of reflected pasts. Which not only shows you where you place your lost socks, but those who look into the mirror see they pass and have to reflect on it.”

Professor, “You are cool lady, want to date after I bring down this thing?”

Leedara, “You are kind of young for me and I don’t date the living. I was one of the lady in waiting of Isolde. And I hated Soth since he caused her to fall. Punch in the nose for me if you get a chance. I will stick around here in the basement if you need a safe place to rest. And the crypts are that way.”

The crypts are interesting for two reasons. Somehow the shrine to the death and undead god Chemosh has a Hallow spell around it. Paks talks to the shine and it talks back. What is says is classified. The second set of chambers holds the ambassador party to Onyari. Well the remains of party. Madar is not present as his bones been crushed when the citadel rose. Citchcillion spirit is trapped in a mirror. He knows of his death but all his information is out of date, he would like to know what happen to his friends.

The Professor pulls the mirror off the wall, “You want to know what happen to your friends, let go see them!” He takes the mirror into the other chamber where Arthena is talking with the vampire Tenadria. Tenadria doesn’t know how they became a vampire. But has recently been fighting with the Aurak draconian Drayan. He asks the group to assassinate the dude. The Mirror and Vampire start ignoring the group as they catch up on old times.

The group moves up to the first floor, with the planetar in the lead. As the group is trying to decide to go up to second floor or explore the first floor for the mirror a kender appears.

Lorry, “Hi. You want to trade some black incense. No I don’t have a pogo stick. That was another kender. Hey you looking for the mirror. Hey you are not paying attention to me. Hey. Grrrr. Let see what behind door number one. HEY YOU GUYS! It is a bunch of draconians. Once you kill them we can talk.” She opens the door to the sanctuary and motions them to through. She gives running commentary as they fight the evil.

DM Note. We will pick back up on page 177. Room S12. All short rests are gone. Story wise you don’t have time for a long rest.

The next two weeks are not happening. And it looks like July will be iffy. So, schedule wise. Pick back up in late July, August or September to finish the book. End it here and like a cancelled series, you don’t know what happen to the heroes. Or I write an epic conclusion with you telling me if your PC lived or died. Discuss it in the comments.

End of Session 435.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases