D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford: “We are releasing new editions of the books”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dire Bare

Legend
Thats not what I was getting at, not that it was going to be evergreen only that they were going to use the name Dungeons & Dragons moving forward, and they weren't going to change that, but that was 23 years ago so my recollection may be faulty.
Using the name "Dungeons & Dragons" only was in reference to the previous edition, "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons". WotC was very clearly telling us at the time they were moving beyond the split between D&D (BECMI) and AD&D. Starting with 3E, there is only one version of the D&D game, not two simultaneously supported versions.

Dire Bare

Legend
I just don't think it's all that confusing. Better than the class tables in the 1e DMG, and it still allows different classes to actually be better or worse at attacks, which 5e certainly doesn't do (nor did 4e before it, I believe).
You may not find THACO confusing. You're certainly not alone.

But there is a reason why practically the entire RPG industry, including most OSR games, have left THACO in the rear-view mirror. Most of us do find it unnecessarily confusing.

I'm old-school, started playing in the 80s . . . and I hated THACO back then. As did every kid I played with. All of my old dudes I play with now also have less than fond memories of some of those old-school rules, especially THACO. I'm pretty confident most D&D gamers, old and new alike, are not eager for a return to that subsystem.

R_J_K75

Legend
People are already playing with rules from 2014 at the same table as playtest packet rules
That's an area where DM interpretation will probably be necessary, but I would say for Spells, always the newer one applies, but old Class features are welcome.
In full disclosure as I have said in other threads that I've not play tested any of the new 1D&D stuff I'm just going off what I've read of the packets which isn't everything, and what I've read here on EN World. I'm willing to give the final books a read through and if the game is actually easier to play and run, the books are better organized I might consider switching back and eat crow. But as a DM I think Id run that over 2014. don't think I'd want to mix and match versions.

Vaalingrade

Legend
But as a DM I think Id run that over 2014. don't think I'd want to mix and match versions.
And that is exactly the point of the dance right now.

They want to convince people that they're not 'losing' their old books, or the ones coming out right now that need to turn a profit, so they're going all in on 'this is not a new edition, this is just a revamp.'

As soon as those books drop though? Those old books are trash. What are you even doing with those, you scrub? Why aren't you joining these official games that are 5.5 only? Why isn't you home game 5.5 only?

Happened in 3.5, happened with 4Essentials, will happen with 3.5 Jr.5.

Functionally, THAC0 as seen in 2e is exactly the same as the additive to-hit calculation we've had since 3e. When attacking you want to roll high and have as high a positive modifier as possible.

To hit formula: [To-hit bonus on character sheet] + [dice roll] +[modifiers] = the AC you hit

THAC0 formula: [THAC0 written on character sheet] - ( [dice roll] + [modifiers] ) = the AC you hit.

We see that in both cases the final result scales linearly with the dice roll and the modifiers. So why is THAC0 harder to use than To-Hit?

• Doing both subtraction and addition involves more of the brain than only addition, especially once you have double-digit numbers
  • With To-Hit, you can add the numbers you have in any order and get the correct result, but since THAC0 involves subtraction you either have to follow the exact order of operations in the formula, or you have to keep track of when to flip the sign.
All in all, THAC0 is just a more complicated way to reach the same result, with 0 benefits.
You're being far too reasonable for this thread. I'm going to have to ask you to stop so we can get back to our regularly scheduled edition warring. ;)

Dire Bare

Legend
And that is exactly the point of the dance right now.

They want to convince people that they're not 'losing' their old books, or the ones coming out right now that need to turn a profit, so they're going all in on 'this is not a new edition, this is just a revamp.'

As soon as those books drop though? Those old books are trash. What are you even doing with those, you scrub? Why aren't you joining these official games that are 5.5 only? Why isn't you home game 5.5 only?

Happened in 3.5, happened with 4Essentials, will happen with 3.5 Jr.5.
It did?

When the 3.5 books came out, my group continued to use our older 3.0 books. Not the core books, but the supplements. If we went through the bother to purchase the new books, why use the old core books?

And there were folks who decided to stick with 3.0 and not buy the new books . . . although eventually most folks moved up "editions".

With 4E, using the entire 4E run at the same time, including "Essentials" was ridiculously easy. The shift from 4.0 to "4.1" was even smaller than the upcoming rules shift.

When the new 5E books come out next year . . . I'll be purchasing the new books and probably using all of the newer rules updates. But I'm keeping all of my existing 5E books, and I will continue to use them. And it will be ridiculously easy.

Some folks just seem to want things to be difficult, when really they aren't.

Next year . . . continue using the 2014 rules if you want. Or pick up the 2024 rules. Or pick up one of the upcoming alternate 5E rulesets. It's all going to be easily compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads