• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Jocks and Nerds: If you like D&D, do you like ... the NFL Draft? (POLL)

If you play D&D, are you also interested in the NFL Draft?

• 1. I will be watching the prime-time coverage of the First Round!

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • 2. I want to know who is drafted, but I am not interested enough to watch.

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • 3. I have an NFL team, but c'mon, who cares about a draft.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • 4. I don't live in America. Isn't football doing the Champions League right now?

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • 5. I play D&D. I don't root for laundry.

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • 6. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Poll closed .

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well Gettleman didn't get a chance to screw us.
I'mma weave the Cowboys and Eagles' conspiring against us like dragons into a future D&D adventure.
Blue Dragon > Green Dragon and White Dragon

2 first rounders next year and if the Bears is Da Bears, it can be a top 10.

Orius

Legend
Jocks are The Enemy! And I loathe football. The only thing I like about football is that it's not soccer.... (cue the Brits here telling me football isn't football ;))

I've found that following sports has more to do with where someone grew up and whether their family & friends followed sports than if they are a gamer or not.

Yeah, I'll definitely agree. My old man hated sports and never watched them. When I was younger, I tried developing an interest in sports, but never really could bring myself to care. I wasn't really concerned about which teams won, nor was I a fan of any players or teams. And as a result, I really couldn't develop an interest.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I'm a pretty casual overall football fan and a pretty dedicated Detroit Lions fan. I'll check the draft picks on my phone for the teams I care about, but I don't feel a need to watch paint dry. As a spectator I prefer lacrosse, rugby, combat sports (judo, jiujitsu. boxing, MMA) and strength sports (power lifting, crossfit*, Strong Man).

In high school I was pretty much a power athlete. Nose tackle in football, wrestled heavy weight, threw shotput and run the 100m dash. In my experience there was a good deal of crossover between us big dude athletes and general nerd culture. A lot of us played at least Magic, were into computer games, and comic books. A large portion of my D&D group in high school came from our defensive line and/or wrestling team. That might have been a bit of a chicken or the egg thing though.

As an adult I spent 4 years in the United States Army which got me back into weight training. As a commo nerd there were a lot of nerd adjacent folks who were still pretty focused on their physical fitness. My platoon sergeant at my first duty station in Suwon, South Korea got me back into World of Warcraft. Lot of Magic, computer games, and even a bit of D&D. Also lots of watching UFC fights.

After the Army I've kept active mostly through weight training, muay thai and jiujitsu. I tried Crossfit, but it's not my thing. There's a pretty big nerd intersection in both the power lifting and jiujitsu spaces. They both really benefit from an analytical approach to training. Joe Rogan has even talked about the rise of the nerd assassin in jiujitsu. Really smart dudes taking over the space.

* Not a fan of crossfit as a training modality, but really enjoy it as a spectator sport.

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
You know, I'm not going to advocate for loving sports- but that "no connection to communities" thing? You should fix that. It's good for the soul!

You know who else doesn't have a connection to their community. Elves. Those soulless automatons that only exist to make D&D a terrible game. You don't want to be an elf, do you?
if you are not into binge drinking or sports my town has little to offer the only d&d group died and spread out, I suppose there are religious communities but I have no faith so that would not work.
plus why would I want something I have never seen?

What is this ‘nfl ‘ ? I can’t find it in the monster manual
I believe it is related to this dark god from Warhammer or something.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
It's also worth mentioning, for the basketball fans in the audience, that 5x NBA Champion and 2x NBA MVP Tim Duncan is a huge fan of D&D

Remove ads