• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Jocks and Nerds: If you like D&D, do you like ... the NFL Draft? (POLL)

If you play D&D, are you also interested in the NFL Draft?

• 1. I will be watching the prime-time coverage of the First Round!

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • 2. I want to know who is drafted, but I am not interested enough to watch.

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • 3. I have an NFL team, but c'mon, who cares about a draft.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • 4. I don't live in America. Isn't football doing the Champions League right now?

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • 5. I play D&D. I don't root for laundry.

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • 6. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Poll closed .
I knew a lot of gamers who liked sports and who played football (and this is going back to the 80s and 90s) so I think this stereotype isn't exactly true. That said, I get bored to tears trying to watch football and most team sports. There seem to be many other gamers out there who have a similar aversion. I like boxing, kickboxing, lifting weights and other more solitary sports. Also, just living in a big sports town (I live near Boston) something I've noticed is there really is a lot of overlap between how sports fans think about sports and how geeks think about stuff like D&D, history, etc. One of the reasons I find Football hard to get into for example is there is so much to know about it, in order to appreciate it (and if you talk to someone who knows football or baseball, the information in their head is the kind that takes years to accumulate---a lot like geek knowledge).

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
that is oddly the exact reason I do not get sports teams at all, I have no connection to communities

You know, I'm not going to advocate for loving sports- but that "no connection to communities" thing? You should fix that. It's good for the soul!

You know who else doesn't have a connection to their community. Elves. Those soulless automatons that only exist to make D&D a terrible game. You don't want to be an elf, do you?

People who are super into following sports are mostly nerds anyway. Especially the fans who avidly follow the draft and join pools.

A few years ago I went to a bar to do a hockey pool with a bunch of guys from the local team’s fan forum. I don’t know what I was expecting, but the dozen or so bespectacled schlubs with their spreadsheets and notepads were distinguishable from the gamers I see at my FLGS only by their hockey jerseys.

Eis

Explorer
I used to watch the first round of the draft every year with my older son but our lives have changed and he has moved away a little and it just isn't a thing any more although we do still discuss it

I know a lot of nerds who love sports and at least one that I used to game with that absolutely hated any sports talk at the table which was actually pretty funny

I love football, college over professional for the most part, but I have curtailed my watching because I get too angry and upset over games. I am extremely embarrassed by this but as much as I love acting logically it continues to elude me in this case. I watch easier games for my team but really difficult ones I record and kind of keep an eye on the score.

I actually do the public address announcing for the local high school football team, that's pretty fun. My younger son is my spotter, helping me see the numbers and match them up with names.

I love most sports. Basketball being one of the only exceptions, I can watch my college team but not professional for the most part. In the last several years I have really started to enjoy Aussie Rules but God help me I am a Carlton fan

last thing, Micah Parsons will likely be a beast of a linebacker, probably not a bad fit for any team

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I like games. I like playing games, mostly.

If I had more opportunities to play football, I would likely enjoy watching football and theorizing about football more than I currently do-- I follow boxing and MMA closer than I do most team sports, because I can just throw on some gloves and get my ass embarrassingly beaten and sit down with some beers and some cocktail napkins and figure out what went wrong.

Well, I decided to put the draft on. In no small part because of this thread. 3 picks in. Unfortunately, I've been spending most of the time counting how many people in the crowds are wearing their masks improperly, or not at all.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Well, I decided to put the draft on. In no small part because of this thread. 3 picks in. Unfortunately, I've been spending most of the time counting how many people in the crowds are wearing their masks improperly, or not at all.

I was hoping that Kings of Leon would sing the first pick.

🎶 With the first pick, you know that The Jags could use somebody …..

Someone like Trevor Lawrence. 🎶

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Not watching it, but let me guess...

(edit: fixed!)
B85DD23B-8133-46BC-B6D8-454FE1E68187.png

Last edited:

Remove ads