• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JollyDoc's Shackled City: FINAL POST [Updated 11/2!!]

JollyDoc

Explorer
Welcome to Brain, and thanks for coming out of the shadows!

I suppose I'll take over the teaser section for G now...

Last night's highlights:

Fun with demodands and Acid Fog

Finally locating soul pillars

Beware bone nagas masquerading as 14th level sorcerers with lots of cool spells from the as-yet-unreleased Libris Mortis

Joachim

First Post
JollyDoc said:
Beware bone nagas masquerading as 14th level sorcerers with lots of cool spells from the as-yet-unreleased Libris Mortis

Y'all tell me if this sounds right: An undead creature with 15 HD, Large Size, damage reduction, spell resistance, and cast spells as a 15th level Sorceror.

Does CR 11 sound just a little bit light? It does to us.

Lela

First Post
Sounds like the MMII to me. That Juggernaut, as my party found out, is definitally not CR 13 (ish). The spell resistance alone was nearly 40.

LordVyreth

First Post
Lela said:
Sounds like the MMII to me. That Juggernaut, as my party found out, is definitally not CR 13 (ish). The spell resistance alone was nearly 40.

Ah, the MM2. When it wasn't severely underestimating CRs, it was serverly overestimating them (like most of the undead and the Linnorms.)

Joachim

First Post
Lela said:

At level 11 to 13 (when you could reasonably expect to encounter a Juggernaut), that would be impossible. The description should just have said, "Immune to all magic".

Unless you had an evoker Wiz 6/Red Wiz 6 with Tatoo Focus, Spell Penetration, and Greater Spell Penetration who rolled a natural "20" all the time on SR rolls.

JollyDoc said:
Welcome to Brain, and thanks for coming out of the shadows!

I suppose I'll take over the teaser section for G now...

Last night's highlights:

Fun with demodands and Acid Fog

Finally locating soul pillars

Sounds jolly... :p

Can't wait for your next update...when's it gonne come out and who's writing it? :)

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Joachim said:
At level 11 to 13 (when you could reasonably expect to encounter a Juggernaut), that would be impossible. The description should just have said, "Immune to all magic".

Unless you had an evoker Wiz 6/Red Wiz 6 with Tatoo Focus, Spell Penetration, and Greater Spell Penetration who rolled a natural "20" all the time on SR rolls.
They noticed, trust me.

Plus it has 6 arms, which can all attack at once. It's grapple is through the roof and it's main weapon is to grapple someone, pin them, and then stuff them under itself for 10d10 crushing damage.* Also, it can do that simply by moving into it's opponants square.

Really, it's only saving grace is the movment speed of 10. But it more than makes up for it with spell-likes such as Wall of Force, Forcecage, and Hold Person. Pen them in and squish them.

Oh, and I learned I'm really not that good at dodging things thrown by angry players. ;)

*My numbers may be off but it's close.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Monsters with out-of-whack CR's can really do some horrible damage. Not to players, but to campaigns!

Seems that my DM is planning on running Bastion of Broken Souls at some point in the future, so I'm going to have to do my best NOT to remember what happens. He's promising major reworkings anyway, but I'll let you guys know how we handled it.

htetickrt

First Post
Joachim said:
Y'all tell me if this sounds right: An undead creature with 15 HD, Large Size, damage reduction, spell resistance, and cast spells as a 15th level Sorceror.

Does CR 11 sound just a little bit light? It does to us.

Doesn't 15th level sorceror imply CR 15 all by itself? I mean, the undead certainly doesn't have worse saves, attacks, or hp, so unless that darned familiar is a great wyrm gold dragon or something, I fail to see how that works.

Though, I guess his spells could all be divinations or something. :lol:

I have to use that Juggernaut, though. My party is simply crushing whatever I throw at them lately. Maybe a few of those in a narrow space would slow them down.

Remove ads