• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just Curious ... Hom many come from AD&D?

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Started playing with the Blue Basic set at age 11 in 1980. Continued playing through high-school, college, marriage, two kids, and I look forward to playing into retirement. :)

RIPnogarD

First Post
I Started in 1981...
I was broke in the Army and looking for something to do with no money. I found a group playing in the rec-center and it was all down hill for me from there...

(Guess I'm a member of the ol' fogies club.)

ragboy

Explorer
Red box in '81 '82...Probably early '82. Our first adventure was Keep on the Borderlands, then it was pretty much homebrew and AD&D until I got back from the Army in '91. Then we played 2nd edition a little bit. Didn't like it. Came back in when Al'Qadim and Planescape were just launching. Then, dropped out for a bit, then came back when 3.0 was just starting. I've been pretty hardcore (well for me, anyway), running about a game a month. Now that my kids are old enough, we run a game a week:

• 1st Edition - Greyhawk - Started with the Desert of Desolation series, then went into a powered-up Sentinel/Guantlet module set, then kinda petered out. We still pick this up on occasion. They love it because their characters are pretty high level.
  • 3.5 - Temple of Elemental Evil - revamped (not Return)
  • Eberron - Just starting this week...
  • Star Wars - We played this for a long time, but it's on hiatus at the moment.
  • Star Frontiers - My 12 year old runs this game on occasion (it's part of his homeschool curriculum!)
  • 'Crazy' D&D - My 10 year old runs this game. It's an unholy union of D&D, Heroquest and whatever happens to come into his strange little mind.
Crap... that was probably more than ya'll cared to know.

Azul

First Post
Started with Basic D&D (the pre-red box version with the Erol Otis cover) and the matching Expert set... sometime around '81-82 I guess. Moved on to 1st edition AD&D pretty quick but also kept playing D&D in parallel (all the way up to the Immortals gold box).

I moved over to other RPGs (including MERP/Rolemaster, RuneQuest, and Ars Magic for my fantasy gaming needs) and almost completely skipped 2e altogether. I played a little 2e just prior to 3e coming out. I heard good things about 3e and decided to give it a chance. Since 2000 it has pretty much been our group's principle RPG.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I started with Basic D&D around 1981-82. Moved to AD&D after that. Still have an AD&D campaign on the side every so often.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Like Diaglo I started with the slightly off-white original edition, Unlike Diaglo I prefer the newer editions. (I started off as a wargamer, but did not try out Chainmail until after I had D&D.)

From there to the Holmes version, then to AD&D (both editions).

Least favorite (aside from wht happened with 2nd ed... 2nd started off fine, but toward the end it was pretty bad) was 1st ed. a whole lot of rules that I ditched right off the bat. Weapon speeds, bouncing lightning bolts, different spell ranges inside and outside, armor penetration modifiers that had nothing to do with what the weapons could actually do...) Some of these I continued to ignore under 2nd ed.

I still use a few elements of 3.0, but for the most part I am at home with 3.5.

The Auld Grump

Ranes

Adventurer
I also found D&D via wargames. It was '78 and so was my dad's collection of vinyl. I started with AD&D, completely avoided Basic, found OD&D in '84, left OD&D in '84, bailed out of D&D altogether shortly after 2e landed. Came to 3e a few years ago.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Y'know, those outside/inside ranges always did bug me. I'd forgotten them, and I'm not sorry to see them go the way of the dodo.

JimAde

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Y'know, those outside/inside ranges always did bug me. I'd forgotten them, and I'm not sorry to see them go the way of the dodo.
A friend of mine with a dwarf character always threatened to challenge humans to a footrace. The human would have to run under an arcaded awning while the dwarf ran next to him, but outside the arcade. The dwarf only had a move of 9" compared to 12" for the human, but because the dwarf was outdoors while the human was indoors, the dwarf's would win! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads