• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just Curious ... Hom many come from AD&D?

Imperialus

Explorer
played a couple of games of AD&D first ed with my cousin back in 1990. I was 9 years old and we were spending the entire summer up in northeren Alberta. After that I didn't play again until 95 when I got into 2nd ed with some friends from school. After graduating in 2000 I didn't play again until 3E was released. Now I've had largely the same group since.

Quasqueton

First Post
Dungeons & Dragons [current edition] is the one true game. All previous editions were just attempts to achieve this level of excellence.

But I was one of the many playtesters of the earlier editions, as far back as 1980.

Quasqueton

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I stumbled from expert D&D to advanced. The MM came first, and I remember being suprised as the others hit the shelves. Playing a hybrid for a while before settling in.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I bought an Unearthed Arcana for 5 bucks in seventh grade science class. I was always interested in the game, but didn't have access to it. I am pretty sure the guy who sold it to me stole it from a relative or friend. He was the same one who stole my 64 crayolas in kindergarten only to eat them.

Reading the book in secret, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. But by eigth grade it had been secretly tossed by my parents and instead found a friend with some of the books. We played a couple of times a strange conglomeration of things I can't now remember. But I do know my friend was very excited to learn 2nd Edition was coming out. We basically started a whole newbie campaign with a newbie DM off the 2E books when they came out.

No one had any experience or knowledge of the game, so it was rather poor, but we had fun bashing on things. It would have been 100x better, if there was a sympathetic adult around. But by that time the game's rep was in the toilet.

JamesDJarvis

First Post
I started in 1970s just before you could find the game almost anywhere. I was into wargaming before I discovered D&D. I miss shoving hundreds of little cardboard pieces about on a hex grided map... sniff.

loki44

Explorer
howandwhy99 said:
It would have been 100x better, if there was a sympathetic adult around.

I guess I was lucky in this respect, in that I was practically ordered by mi Mum to play with an offspring of one of her co-workers. She considered them "normal", unlike my other degenerate friends. Just a matter of interpretation I guess. In the end I'd say she made the right call. In our early group all of our parents were extremely supportive. I guess D&D seemed like a cleaner activity than other possibilities.

kanithardm

First Post
DungeonmasterCal said:
There are LOTS of us here who can trace our roots to 1st Edition and beyond. I started in 1985 with 1e, myself.

When I started playing I asked my uncle for DnD books. He gave me 1e, all my store had was 1e. So when I invited some people over to play, I was kind of surprised when they said, why are you playing 1e? We liked it anyway though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads