• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just Curious ... Hom many come from AD&D?

The Shaman

First Post
Henry said:
My question is: Who is more hard core -- you, or Diaglo? :D I know D. was a wargamer before he was a D&D'er...
I was a miniatures wargamer before I picked up D&D, so we do share common background there too - but I think we can all agree that diaglo is the hardest of the hardcore.

If I was as 'core, I'd still be playing the one true game, too. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Late 1977: D&D (the3 little books)/AD&D, then Traveller, soon followed by Star Fleet Battles, Starfire, Melee/Wizard/In The Labyrynth (and all the Microgames), Squad leader, Champions, and so forth.

Gamer 'till I die (and if I get a phylactery, after I die as well).

Now, if I could just convince my current game group to play something other than 3Ed.

Greylock

First Post
Switched from Avalon Hill to ADD at BealeKnights invite sometime around '80 or '81. Whenever it was he finally figured out the rules. :)

[Edit: In case anyone misses the connection via my sig-link, I consider myself one lucky :):):):) to still be playing with BK.]

Last edited:

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Although this thread topic has been done to death in the past - I started in 1980 with OD&D, played a while with AD&D, and then gave up when the whole 2e thing started, returning to my OD&D campaign.

Never played 2e, and had basically stopped playing D&D in any form until 3.0 came out.

Agamon

Adventurer
We are legion. I started in '83 with the red book D&D and quickly 'upgraded' to AD&D (the quotes mean AD&D isn't so much an upgrade than a slightly different experience). I kept on playing pretty much until I finally got fed up with the ridiculousness of 2E...about 3 weeks before 3E was announced. :p

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Started in 1979 when I was 13 with the book that had the Dave Sutherland pic of the dragon sitting on its hoard, with a bowman and a wizard just about to attack. It was the blue second printing version. Bought the AD&D books as soon as I was able to locate 'em. Played 1e AD&D until 1989, when 2e appeared. Kinda lost interest about 1996, was brought back into RPGs by the release of 3e.

Arrellion

Explorer
My friends father ran us through our first dungeon around 1981. I was hooked. Went
home and asked for the D&D red box set. A few weeks later I got the box set and the
players guide. Play every other Saturday and may start DM'ing a group of newbies
at a new game shop, if I can find the time.

Arrel

Remove ads