D&D (2024) Just drop the backgrounds.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Realistically, you are born as a member of a particular race/heritage, you grow up in a particular culture, and you get a job/background. Then something comes along which can only be an act of destiny. ;) The class you then pick up is the one you always wanted to be if it wasn't for that meddling background. :p "I wanted to be a Fighter, but my parents insisted that I had to be a lawyer...."
Realistically? Who cares? We're creating a fictional character. What aspect of character creation you choose to focus on first when coming up with a character concept is a matter of preference (that can differ from character to character). There is no right or wrong way here.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Realistically, you are born as a member of a particular race/heritage, you grow up in a particular culture, and you get a job/background. Then something comes along which can only be an act of destiny. ;) The class you then pick up is the one you always wanted to be if it wasn't for that meddling background. :p "I wanted to be a Fighter, but my parents insisted that I had to be a lawyer...."

Yeah, sure. That's how the character's STORY tends to go, but it has pretty much nothing to do with how you build them. I mean, it's pretty weird that they start all grown up, too. Time is such a malleable thing when you're telling stories!

In A5e, however, there is an attempt to make more of your character's origin before they picked up a class. While class is still important and still the first thing a player is likely to look at, I think A5e is trying to narrow the gap on how you build your character.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Realistically? Who cares? We're creating a fictional character. What aspect of character creation you choose to focus on first when coming up with a character concept is a matter of preference (that can differ from character to character). There is no right or wrong way here.
I agree, there's no right or wrong way. But that means my way is exactly as right as yours is. I care about "realism" as far as it goes. What I don't care about is how many people agree with me.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I agree, there's no right or wrong way. But that means my way is exactly as right as yours is. I care about "realism" as far as it goes. What I don't care about is how many people agree with me.
I don't think anyone was trying to tell you that you do it "wrong", but you absolutely do it differently than (at least IME) most players do. I also believe (maybe I'm wrong) that you started this tangent by suggesting that WotC ought to push doing it your way. (I admit that if I'm mistaken, it's a common mistake when communicating by text).

I know that @Parmandur was only pointing out that WotC is likely trying to move toward the common method, and not away from it.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You said "who cares about realism" (paraphrased) that is a value judgement. I care. Having a character be created organically matters to me far more than slotting into the empty "melee fighter" space in the party.

Remove ads